User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jackson4
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 05:05:34
Print Post

Trying to help a neighbour-no broadband for 2 years....

[link to this post]

An elderly gent living near me signed up with TT 2 years ago but after paying vaious "technicians" to help getting him connected - step in Captain Marvel.

First of all,he has a Huawei HG520b modem with the ADSL light flashing.

I can talk to the router via a browser and every thing seems to work OK but still no BB connection.

I transfered the router to my home and managed to get sound connection within minutes. I also used his filter,ethernet cable and phone cable to minimise any faulty parts.

I managed to talk to a very pleasant lady in India, bypassed the script and was told there would be an esculation of the fault to a line test - no more heard....

Should the ADSL light be ON with just the router connected to phone line?
I ask because he has aquired a number of Passwords and not sure which is correct.
I did however managed to retrieve one using the special phone number to TT

I really would like to get this gent up and running and feel very close to the outcome.

By the way, I have tried straight to Master Socket

Is it possible there may have to be a reset at exchange considering there has been no BB for 2 years - he is fully paid up to the service....

Appreciate any logical replies

Peter -(soon to be an ex Plus Net customer)
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Feb-11 08:28:37
Print Post

Re: Trying to help a neighbour-no broadband for 2 years....

[re: jackson4] [link to this post]

If the ADSL light keeps flashing then it is not getting synch iirc. I don't use the TT supplied router.

The username should be phonenumber@talktalk.net (iirc) and tghe password seems to be a random assortment of characters. When you connected the router to your line did the ADSL light stay solid. If so then you have your answer, ie the router is not making synch with the exchange.

Do you have another router you could try??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Feb-11 08:32:40
Print Post

Found this http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/archive/index....

Sounds like the router settings have become corrupted, or broadband has been removed from the line.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jackson4
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 09:49:45
Print Post

[re: SimonCandest] [link to this post]

As mentioned, tried the router in my home and found it to be perfect - ideally I need to know if a router has to be connected to computer for the ADSL light to stay steady

Peter
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 10:00:25
Print Post

No it doesnt need to be connected to anything but the telephone line and power socket to beable to have a solid (not orange or flashing) sync light.

Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sat 26-Feb-11 10:26:17
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Additionally, even if you have the wrong username/password, the router should still be able to obtain sync if broadband is active on the line. Maybe somebody else can confirm, but if the TT help pages are correct about the HG520b, the ADSL light indicates sync and the INTERNET light will indicate if the username/password are correct (this won't light unless the ADSL light is lit, of course), which is usually the norm for most routers.
Standard User stormsinger
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 11:13:37
Print Post

This sounds like it may be a line problem. You'll need to ask TT to check the line. Initially they can run some tests (a woosh test IIRC). Sometimes this will resolve a problem, but more likely they'll need to refer it to BT. It's important though to rule out any internal wiring issues, so make sure you've plugged the router into the master test socket before calling in BT.

You don't say whether you're close to the exchange or not, but if you're some distance away and the problem is down to line quality then trying a different router may help. In my experience (I live in a very rural area) the Netgear DG834G version 3 is good at holding sync on longer lines. It must be a V3 as a different chipset was used in later versions I believe.

Could you plug your router into his line and see if it syncs? It won't connect to the internet as the login details will be wrong, but you'll at least be able to test the line.
Standard User mmike
(regular) Sat 26-Feb-11 15:12:18
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

I have HG520b and just to add what has already been said, the lights that should be on (steady green) are POWER, WLAN (if he has wireless enabled), LAN (any one of the four - unless he is using another PC), ADSL and INTERNET.
When in use (browsing or downloading) only LAN (or WLAN) and INTERNAT should be 'blinking' which indicates that the data is been recieved.

You may wan to check that the following settings are correct:
Under 'WAN Settings'
VPI = 0
VCI =38
Active = Yes
Mode = Active
Encapsulation = PPoA
Muliplex = VC

Under 'Login Information'
PPP Authentication = CHAP

Under IP Address
'Obtain IP Address Authomaticaly' is selected

Under 'Connection'
'Nailed-Up Connection'

Hope this helps, shout if there is anything else i can check for you.

Regards
Mike
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Feb-11 15:43:55
Print Post

Nope, does not need connected to the computer (as stated elsewhere). As long as the ADSL light keeps flashing there is no synch to the exchange.

If, as you say, connecting it to another, known working line, gets synch then the router and cables are fine and there is a fault on the line. Time to get onto customer support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 19:31:49
Print Post

[re: mmike] [link to this post]

To the OP. Don't forget to check at the test socket behind the master faceplate, in case your neighbour's internal wiring is faulty.

ETEE

16448kbps/1017kbps Best Speed 13820kbps cool ThinkBroadband SpeedTester

Worst Speed 211kbps confused shocked TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to