User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 11:54:34
Print Post

TalkTalk reseller ? can Xilo put own equipment in exchange?

[link to this post]

I wondered if Xilo or another TalkTalk reseller could explain where the TalkTalk hardware ends and Xilo (for instance) takes over, and whether this is governed by licences or just a business decision. Am wondering for instance if any company is allowed to apply to have an LLU presence in the exchange, or just certain licenced operators, and also if the exchange equpment has to be purchased outright by TalkTalk (or CPW/Opal etc) or if all exchange equipent is just hired for instance.
Also am wondering about backhaul, and traffic shaping....where this occurs physically and whether a TalkTalk reseller has control over this.

cheers

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:17:19
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk reseller ? can Xilo put own equipment in excha

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

It's the Opal network Xilo use who are business only - apart from Wholsesale services like Xilo, Vivaciti etc.

TalkTalk are the resedential arm who use the same network.

No shaping or throttling on Xilo.

Xilo have no physical access to the network, apart from setting noise margins, interleaving etc as it is owned by Opal.

Probably best if the mods move this to the reseller section.

-

XILO.net Office 8Mb

Edited by wolvesmad (Tue 01-Mar-11 12:20:36)

Standard User GeeTee
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:24:32
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Slight correction...

Opal is now known as TalkTalk Business.

The network is provided by TalkTalk Technology and used by both TalkTalk Business and TalkTalk Residential to service their various customer bases (wholeasle or direct).

So 3 separate arms of the same group, not 2 as you seem to say.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:25:56
Print Post

There are a few questions here.

1) On the TTB side of things, they own the equipment and we pick the network "traffic" up at points in London

2) If you want to, you can unbundle an exchange but it is not a quick or cheap process.

3) Traffic shaping is generally done further down network from the exchange at a central point (or points). If the equipment to do this was in the exchange (of which some are already limited in space), if would mean that if maintenance was required, the LLU supplier has to arrange access with Openreach to access it. Putting all core kit in a central location works better for the obvious reasons.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Tue 01-Mar-11 12:26:41)

Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 14:36:18
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Matt, the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of moving to Utility Warehouse (Telecoms Plus) and they say they use their equipment, but I believe they resell various LLU providers rather than have their own in each exchange. They have an unlimited product, but if they re-sell another's product can they call it unlimited and unshaped if they are using TalkTalk kit? Do they have the option to unthrottle/unshape/no-FUP if they resell.
The guy i'm speaking with is phd and has worked in telecoms/computer science so I do lend weight to his words, but it just doesn't seem likely that they are a primary LLU operator, especially as they have no forum here and are not mentioned on samknows etc.

Matt, you say you pick up traffic in london for instance and that shaping is not done at the exchange, but you dont say if shaping is within your part of the network or prior to when it gets to you...and if it is prior for you, is that your business decision or something you have no say in

Edited by Myth (Tue 01-Mar-11 14:39:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Mar-11 09:09:01
Print Post

PHD and telecoms/comp sci and selling you a Telecoms Plus service - yeah and I am the king of Australia

Utility Warehouse is an aggregator who buys service from who ever can offer them the best deal at an exchange. You can easily offer unlimited even with BT Wholesale network, the crunch is how does it perform at peak times.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Myth
(member) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:40:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

does aggregator mean they are not a reseller?

Am just trying to figure out where resellers can make infrastructure changes (if anywhere) like backhaul, blocking, shaping etc

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:34:12
Print Post

I doubt Utility Warehouse has much in the way of its network infrastructure, most likely just buying capacity from exchange to the internet from a mixture of suppliers.

The referral nature of UW can often explain the satisfaction ratings people give the service, since the more you encourage others to join the cheaper your connection is.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to