User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kenr
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 11:29:58
Print Post

Some Q about TT LLU service

[link to this post]

Before I make the move I have a few Questions:-

Do they offer static ip's?
Is there a hidden FUP on plus?
Are any ports blocked?
Is there any hidden cost in moving FROM LLU back to adsl if I decide I don't like it in the 30 day "trial"?

Ken
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Mar-11 11:47:35
Print Post

Re: Some Q about TT LLU service

[re: kenr] [link to this post]

Do they offer static ip's?

No.

Is there a hidden FUP on plus?

From the TT forum -

Talk Talk’s policy towards Fair Usage is that Customers should be able to use the Service in an appropriate manner to meet their needs. A very small number of Customers use an excessive amount of the network bandwidth at peak times, to the extent that it can impair the performance of others. We therefore have a fair usage policy, which is designed to ensure your Service is fast and reliable 24 hours a day. This only involves monitoring the amount Customers download and managing non-time critical traffic on our network, such as Bittorrent or other Peer-to-Peer sharing applications.
If Customers usage is continually either excessive, unfair, inappropriate, affects other users enjoyment of our broadband Service, or is not consistent with the usage we would typically expect on the Customers current package, we reserve the right to upgrade customers to a package more suited for their usage or, in extreme cases, suspend or terminate their ability to access Talk Talk broadband. We also manage the use of file sharing applications as these services often involve huge files being uploaded and downloaded, which can cause network problems and for Customers Internet Service to be slower than normal.
Currently, TalkTalk Customers have no restrictions on Bittorrent or other file sharing activity between midnight and 3pm. At peak times, however some TalkTalk Customers can still use those services but they may find Bittorrent or file sharing is a little slower as we limit the amount of this traffic to ensure we can maintain a high quality Internet service for all our Customers. However, all TalkTalk Customers have no restrictions on time-critical web traffic such as surfing, gaming, streaming content from applications like BBC iPlayer or using VOIP packages like Skype at any time.

Are any ports blocked?

No.

Is there any hidden cost in moving FROM LLU back to adsl if I decide I don't like it in the 30 day "trial"?

This is a quote from one of Tommys posts here -

Firstly and possibly more importantly moving to talk talk would also mean that your phone line would become non bt, as it too would be talk talk llu, full metallic path facility, costs nothing to switch to it, but should things not work out, or that you in the future want to change you would have to have you line re connected to bt network at the exchange before you could sign up with another isp' bt may not charge you to do this, but you would be tied into a 12 or 18mth contract

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Mon 21-Mar-11 11:50:34)

Standard User kenr
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 12:01:49
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Looks like I need to revive my no-ip account again.

Interesting about the phone. I can switch BB between BT & LLU but not phones?

Ken

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kenr
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 12:14:30
Print Post

Since they don't offer static ip's what is the "retention" of an ip like? Are they "sticky" or subject to change like the weather?

Ken
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 12:37:05
Print Post

The ip address changes as soon as the router is rebooted. If a static ip address is an absolute must, then you may want to consider Talktalk business as they offer a static ip as standard. IIRC their business service is also un-throttled but is subject to a 100GB fup per month. Finally you may also want to consider Vivaciti and Xilo as talktalk resellers, i think they may offer static ip addresses on a residential service.

edit: i should add i use http://www.dyndns.com/ and it works fine!

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up