User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Mar-11 13:59:13
Print Post

Hmmmmmm

[link to this post]

Hmm, I seem to have hit a wall now. I have tweaked settings, I have changed routers and filters. Router stats are solid at:
Downstream Upstream
17112 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 23.4 dB 11.5 dB
Noise Margin 5.4 dB 11.5 dB

and yet my speed test here gives 13.5Mb/s and on speedtest.net is closer to 12.

I have tried a variety of MTU settings. I'm not unhappy with the speeds, I would just like to get the maximum out of the connection. Now I know I will not get a throughput of 17Mb but would be nice to get 15 or 16 if it can be done??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:02:42
Print Post

Re: Hmmmmmm

[re: SimonCandest] [link to this post]

Have you tried the MTU and RWIN?

eta; oops.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 23-Mar-11 14:03:41)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 15:02:52
Print Post

What speeds do you get when downloading a test file? speed test sites are not always accurate,use a download manager if you have one ,as they may rate limit each stream, as such use of a download manager would overcome this by connecting multiple streams

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Wed 23-Mar-11 17:59:39
Print Post

Try this in-depth speedtest, you should get at least 15 meg on your sync. Don't fill in any fields and you'll have to do the test twice as your speed is >10 meg. Do post your results!
http://loki09.mpi-sws.mpg.de/bb/bb.php

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Mar-11 20:52:14
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Downstream Bandwidth: 15112 Kbps Downstream Queue: 14 ms
Upstream Bandwidth: 901 Kbps Upstream Queue: 271 ms

Right. So it would appear, according to this test, I am doing pretty well! smile

Also, just did a TBB test file download. In Chrome it was showing as 1600+ kBs. I suspect I am not going to get any more than that, but am confident all is ok smile

Cheers guys

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Wed 23-Mar-11 22:54:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by SimonCandest:
Downstream Bandwidth: 15112 Kbps Downstream Queue: 14 ms
Upstream Bandwidth: 901 Kbps Upstream Queue: 271 ms

Right. So it would appear, according to this test, I am doing pretty well! smile

Also, just did a TBB test file download. In Chrome it was showing as 1600+ kBs. I suspect I am not going to get any more than that, but am confident all is ok smile

Cheers guys

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the TBB speedtester. For some unknown reason it doesn't give the correct speed for Talktalk users as proven here:
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php...

If you have to use speedtest.net, then use the London server as that is the one with the most capacity and gives the most realistic results smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up