User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User coups_lincoln
(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-11 13:43:53
Print Post

TalkTalk forwarding my details on

[link to this post]

Hi first post so be nice,

I recently changed to to talktalk from 3 mobile broadband thinking it would be more stable and have better speeds.

After downloading a few things i was pretty disappointed with the speed i was getting 0.1m/b when my line was running at 3.5mb.

So i gave talktalk a call and said i wasnt happy and im still within my 30days i want to cancel. When asked why i said i was downloading a linux distro over a p2p network and it was dreadfully slow... the man said thats illegal! I tried to argue with him explaining linux is freeware ect but he wouldn't have it.

He said im passing your details on to the appropriate authorities and they will come and take your hard drive away!

Now surely this isn't right can some one please advise me on what i can do or if this was just a scare tactic? thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 13:55:13
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk forwarding my details on

[re: coups_lincoln] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by coups_lincoln:
Hi first post so be nice,

I recently changed to to talktalk from 3 mobile broadband thinking it would be more stable and have better speeds.

After downloading a few things i was pretty disappointed with the speed i was getting 0.1m/b when my line was running at 3.5mb.

So i gave talktalk a call and said i wasnt happy and im still within my 30days i want to cancel. When asked why i said i was downloading a linux distro over a p2p network and it was dreadfully slow... the man said thats illegal! I tried to argue with him explaining linux is freeware ect but he wouldn't have it.

He said im passing your details on to the appropriate authorities and they will come and take your hard drive away!

Now surely this isn't right can some one please advise me on what i can do or if this was just a scare tactic? thanks
That's appalling behaviour. You should either complain and receive an apology, or laugh it off.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User coups_lincoln
(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:10:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Do you think anything will come of it? I was quite worried when he said they will take your harddrive! I have cancelled with them now anyway but I'm worried what will happen from the 4 days I have spent with them!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:31:51
Print Post

I doubt they would do anything.

Anyway even if reporting you for a copyright violation they need details of who to report to etc, i.e. it was just a person being all high and mighty with you. make a complaint about the representative.

P2P has been publicised as heavily shaped on talktalk, so no shock to see slow speeds from it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:32:30
Print Post

Nothing can happen! The guy is talking out of somewhere unmentionable in polite company. In terms of speed, I would assume you were falling foul of TTs throttling, some ISPs consider all p2p usage to be very bad, a point for you to consider int he future.

Put your mind at rest, Your use of p2p is legal in that the distro you were downloading was (I'm sure) Freeware. TT really don't have the best reputation for customer service, and this only damages it further, if the CSA you spoke to really believes what he said to you then his training and knowledge are woefully inadequate, but I suspect a more mischievous motive, and he is lucky it wasn't me he tried to pull that line on as I would have been on to his manager about such statements. IMHO the guy needs to be fired PDQ.

Ignore the muppet, just migrate to a better ISP.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:44:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by coups_lincoln:
Do you think anything will come of it? I was quite worried when he said they will take your harddrive! I have cancelled with them now anyway but I'm worried what will happen from the 4 days I have spent with them!
No, don't worry. The guy's just being an idiot.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Fri 25-Mar-11 15:09:48
Print Post

Hi coups_lincoln,

if you register at www.talktalkmembers.com we will take the necessary information from you and investigate this.

Ady

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to