User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paigedog
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Apr-11 19:55:07
Print Post

Will not goive me MAC code, who to complain to?

[link to this post]

So it's been many days since this:

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email – Normally we respond to within 24 hours, however, sometime this isn’t possible so please bear with us if you haven’t heard from us within this time.

Your support request has been given an incident number. This is xxxxxxxx. Please use this number in the subject line of any emails you send us regarding this issue.

We will be in touch again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

TalkTalk Customer Services

I have requested a MAC code but of course, they are not interested in that are they? Just bombarding me with stupid marketing spam which I'm glad to note that Gmail sees as just that and dumps it straight away with no intervention from me. Oh, and also providing me with appalling speeds in the evening when our business line next door is still flying on BT.

Who can I complain to? I want rid of this dispicable company.

Steve
Standard User nex0
(committed) Thu 14-Apr-11 19:58:55
Print Post

Re: Will not goive me MAC code, who to complain to?

[re: paigedog] [link to this post]

Have you tried the talktalk members forum?

They actually seem very helpful on there.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 21:08:01
Print Post

[re: nex0] [link to this post]

So what?

By regulation, an ISP has to provide at least two methods of requesting a MAC; the OP has already used 1 of them. The ISP must now provide the MAC within 5 working days. It is not up to the user to go gallivanting round some forum just to invoke his rights.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 21:12:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by paigedog:
Who can I complain to? I want rid of this despicable company.
Use OFCOM's Complaint Letter

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User nex0
(committed) Thu 14-Apr-11 21:26:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm not saying it is right but what difference is there posting on a forum compared to complain to ofcom.

Ofcom wont get him his mac code although they can help him get it that will take time.

A few details posted on a forum will hardly hurt and will probably end up in him getting his mac much faster.

Besides the op states it has been many days not 5 days so while they usually respond within 24hrs they might still be within the time limit.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Apr-11 21:29:47
Print Post

Re: Will not give me MAC code, who to complain to?

In reply to a post by paigedog:
So it's been many days since this:

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email – Normally we respond to within 24 hours, however, sometime this isn’t possible so please bear with us if you haven’t heard from us within this time.

Your support request has been given an incident number. This is xxxxxxxx. Please use this number in the subject line of any emails you send us regarding this issue.

We will be in touch again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

TalkTalk Customer Services

I have requested a MAC code but of course, they are not interested in that are they? Just bombarding me with stupid marketing spam which I'm glad to note that Gmail sees as just that and dumps it straight away with no intervention from me. Oh, and also providing me with appalling speeds in the evening when our business line next door is still flying on BT.

Who can I complain to? I want rid of this despicable company.
Are you FULLY LLU'D UP (FMPF=PTSN+ADSL) you pay tt line rental instead of bt?
If this is the case then they are not required to supply a Mac code, ofcom will tell you the same thing, but if you, say only have a calling plan and broadband with tt, and pay bt line rental,(SMPF) then they must supply you a mac code within the 5 working days time frame
Assuming worst case scenario, Full llu(fmpf) what you have to do is firstly formally cancel talk talk giving the required notice period as per their t&c's (via letter to sign for ) so you can track it and see the name of the person who signed for it,P.O.D.
Then you will need to have your line physically disconnected from talk talks kit at the exchange and re-connected to the bt wholesale system,
either by ordering a return to donor directly with bt retail, or with another telecoms supplier such as the post office(line rental and or calls)
there are several others too, you may have to pay a connection fee with some companies others such as bt.retail will require you to also take a calling plan for a minimum contract term,instead of charging a connection fee,
only then once the line is active again and the bt database has updated will you be able to order adsl broadband from most other suppliers, as most require a working BT line
Internet Service
What is a Migration Authorisation Code (MAC)?
A Migration Authorisation Code or MAC is a unique code which identifies a particular line and enables customers to switch internet service providers smoothly and with minimal disruption.

Once you decide you want to switch broadband provider you ask your ISP for a MAC code.

It consists of four letters beginning with L followed by between seven and nine numbers, a slash, and five alphanumeric characters (e.g. LAEM1234567/1F6HT).

Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business (with 10 or less employees) wishes to change broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of the request.

Companies must offer at least two methods of providing a MAC (by email, phone or post etc).

You should then present the MAC to the ISP you want to switch to and it will then process the request to migrate and inform you of the transfer date. The service should then be transferred seamlessly and with little or no disruption of service.

However, there are some circumstances where the losing broadband supplier can refuse to provide a MAC. These are:

• the broadband supplier cannot confirm they are dealing with the named account holder
• the broadband service has already been disconnected or in the process of being disconnected
• the broadband supplier has already issued a MAC and it is still valid
• the broadband supplier is unable to obtain the MAC from their own supplier
the broadband service is supplied through a full Local Loop Unbundling packageIf any of the above apply to your particular service, your broadband supplier must make this clear to you.

Where the MAC process does not apply, the losing broadband supplier should make arrangements for the ‘tag’ to be removed from the line. This should be done within 10 working days and will allow you to have services with the provider of your choice.

If you are having problems switching between ISPs because of problems obtaining a MAC from your existing supplier, click here.

Whilst Ofcom cannot respond to all consumers personally, we are still interested in your experience. The information you give us is used to identify trends and can lead to us investigating a particular company’s behaviour. Although in most instances we will not require further information, we may approach you directly should more detail be required.

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 14-Apr-11 21:50:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 22:38:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by nex0:
what difference is there posting on a forum compared to complain to ofcom.
Formality!

Standard User nex0
(committed) Thu 14-Apr-11 22:54:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
what difference is there posting on a forum compared to complain to ofcom.
Formality!

Sorry but mountains out of molehills springs to mind.

Ofcom would be a last resort for me as I would personally try ringing them and posting on there message board first.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:26:52
Print Post

I'm not saying it is right but what difference is there posting on a forum compared to complain to ofcom.

Ofcom wont get him his mac code although they can help him get it that will take time.

A few details posted on a forum will hardly hurt and will probably end up in him getting his mac much faster.

Besides the op states it has been many days not 5 days so while they usually respond within 24hrs they might still be within the time limit.

and neither will posting in the talktalk members forum if the op is fully unbundled ,as in such circumstances the MAC process don't apply so isp do not issue such codes, even if they did no other isp apart from maybe sky would be able to provide a service on the line until it is back on the bt system, Likewise ofcom would not be able to assit

ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Fri 15-Apr-11 10:41:30
Print Post

Hi paigedog,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling to leave us. If you would register on www.talktalkmembers.com we would be more than happy to assist in whatever way is necessary to expediate this for you.

You could PM me once registered and I will pick it up.

OCE_Ady

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to