User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Tue 28-Jun-11 23:43:58
Print Post

Router problem?

[link to this post]

Need some help guys,

So we have just moved to TalkTalk ADSL2+ internet, and delighted with the speed. We were previously with BT on normal ADSL.

So we set up the Echolife hg532 router, and the wireless works fine. Now I have always had our 2 Xbox 360's wired to the router, but now for some reason if one is connected to Xbox live, if we try and connect with the other Xbox it just doesn't connect to Xbox live, even though all the correct lights are on. When I do a test on the xbox(s) it always says the same thing, and that is to restart the router, but I dont want to keep doing that!

I never had any trouble like this with BT, it is so frustrating as I just do not know how to fix this, so any help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have checked upnp and it is on already.

Steve
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 06:45:33
Print Post

Re: Router problem?

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

I don't own an X-box so have no way to test this.

As you mention upnp is the x-box forwarding ports automatically through the router?

If so and you have 2 x-boxes maybe they are both trying to create rules for the same ports. This would cause the issue you describe.
Whether it is possible to specifiy ports requested within the x-box settings, or to tell the x-box that there is another x-box on the LAN I don't know.

Hope this helps

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jun-11 09:44:53
Print Post

most router wont be able to forward to two xbox at the same time whilst UPNP is enabled .

I have found a work around to get two xbox working at the same time and it means turning UPNP off and manually forwarding the ports to one xbox and setting the other up as a DMZ .

please don't ask for step by step instructions as it took like a whole day of messing about with the router to find my botched up fix and i don't want to revisit that day of frustration .

Sorry i cant be of more help , as i don't have the HG532 any more , it would of been very difficult to talk you through the set up anyway .

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 10:04:27
Print Post

I have a PS3 wired to the router as well and no problems there, its just with the 2 Xbox 360's.

I have a Netgear DGN2000 router, I wonder if changing to that will fix the problem? Also would the Netgear router be a better router than the Echolife one I recieved from TalkTalk?

Steve
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-11 12:20:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spikester84:
I have a PS3 wired to the router as well and no problems there, its just with the 2 Xbox 360's.

I have a Netgear DGN2000 router, I wonder if changing to that will fix the problem? Also would the Netgear router be a better router than the Echolife one I recieved from TalkTalk?

Steve

Not sure if the Netgear DGN2000 will fix your problem, but i can guarantee it will give you a better all round performance v echolife 532. I was also sent the Echolife 532 by TalkTalk and on the next day it was sold on ebay for £10...would have gladly given it away for free grin.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 14:48:59
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
... and setting the other up as a DMZ .

Do you mean there is a setting in the x-box to set it up as DMZ?

If you mean in the router then setting DMZ should nullify any port forward settings to another machine afaik.
Still, it works for you smile

Does the router in the OP's question forward ports to an IP address or to a MAC address/NIC card name?

If the former, can you set static LAN IP address in the x-box?
If the latter you should just be able to have forwarding rules for both x-boxes with no DMZ.
Both of these assume you can specify different ports in each x-box though. If you can't do that then I'm at a loss

edit: ok, been reading a bit, cant choose ports in x-boxes, looks like the fixes are very router/firmware specific. I still can't see how the DMZ fix works, but others have it working with just upnp on and x-boxes set to DHCP (not static). Also, no port forwarding, but maybe port triggering would help if the simple upnp doesnt work on your router

Edited by Myth (Wed 29-Jun-11 15:28:27)

(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 18:07:10
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

From what i'm reading it seems the Netgear dgn2000 is a superior router to the echolife 532, so I think I will set that up.

Now for the very 'nooby' question.... wil it be easy enough to set up the Netgear router? I have never done that before and only used routers that were provided with the ISP? I have a wizard set-up disk with the Netgear, not sure if I should use that, or is it easy enough to manually set it up?

Steve
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 18:12:23
Print Post

the dgn2000 is the modem aswell so needs setting up to access the talktalk network and your specific talktalk "account"

So you need a password and username, and the various settings for connection at the exchange like 0,38 PPoA etc, i'm sure there must be a sticky here somewhere or easily found on a talktalk site explaining what you need

edit:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/f/2660602-...

gives a phone number that tells you your username/password

Edited by Myth (Wed 29-Jun-11 18:15:31)

(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:12:24
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

**UPDATE**

Ok guys I managed to get the Netgear router going smile Happy days!

When I was using the Echolife router my ping was around 45, with a download speed of about 11meg and and upload of 0.60meg. Now with the Netgear my ping has went down to 35(which is great) my download speed is still the same at around 11meg and my upload has went up to 0.70meg. Oh and both Xbox's now work great, and can both sign on to Xbox live at the same time.

So all in all it has improved my connection, even if just slightly. Does anyone know how to access full router stats on Netgear routers???

This is all I can get:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 188390 298937 0 3832 72110 01:28:32
LAN 10M/100M 66242 90760 0 9326 1998 01:29:39
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 246456 104415 0 63816 2504 01:29:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 12741 kbps 912 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 14.4 db
Noise Margin 12.2 db 12.9 db

The information in bold I don't even understand, as I was used to my BT homehub.

Steve
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-11 08:10:50
Print Post

I suggest you pour petrol over the Echolife HG532, set it on fire and then youtube it grin

On a serious note, if you're not suffering from any disconnections and want to squeeze every last drop from your line with lower pings then ask one of the OCEs on the TalkTalk forum to put you on a 6db/fast path profile, this will increase your download speeds to around 15-16 meg and give you even lower pings smile

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

(obviously you'll have to register first)

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up