User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User D_Parker
(newbie) Mon 04-Jul-11 17:03:41
Print Post

TalkTalk Help

[link to this post]

Despite being warned, my mother in law decided to sign up to TalkTalk for phone and broadband and recently i did a speed check to see what speeds she was getting. Speed test showed a 6meg download speed and a connection to the exchange of 8meg, so i rang TalkTalk to explain it looked like her profile was stuck. After a brief discussion i was informed her line was unstable and had seen repeated disconnections so her line had been set to a connection speed that was stable.
I had a look at her router settings and was pretty amazed to find the default router setting for her connection was set to "connect on demand", no wonder her line was looking unstable.
Anyway i changed that to always on and since then she has had a connection for over 5 days with no problems at all, now before i have to go through the pain of talking to TalkTalk again over the phone how long should it be before her line should see an increase in profile/Connection speeds?
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jul-11 17:35:32
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Help

[re: D_Parker] [link to this post]

If i was you i would get your MIL to register at the TT Forum and post your question, the OCE's are very helpful.and its a lot less hassle than phone support.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

Edit - replaced link.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Mon 04-Jul-11 17:36:42)

Standard User ste211270
(newbie) Mon 04-Jul-11 17:37:36
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Help *DELETED*

Post deleted by ste211270

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-11 00:26:12
Print Post

Advice is exactly as jack has said , use the forum for support issue , never the phone .

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-11 07:44:30
Print Post

Just one point (because it may be she has no problem at all - call centres are known for just saying any old thing to make the caller go away), you say the speed test result was 6Mbps and the connection speed was 8Mbps.
6Mbps isn't too far off the maximum possible data download speed of an 8Mbps connection (the actual theoretical limit, taking overheads into account, is around 6.6 - 6.7Mbps).
You will never get a download speed of 8Mbps from an 8Mbps connection (it's just not possible - part of the 8Mbps is used for IP or ATM overheads).

What does the speedtester on this (the ThinkBroadband) site tell you?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 07:58:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by D_Parker:
Anyway i changed that to always on and since then she has had a connection for over 5 days with no problems at all, now before i have to go through the pain of talking to TalkTalk again over the phone how long should it be before her line should see an increase in profile/Connection speeds?

If she's been connected solidly for 5 days, chances are she's on the correct profile based on her sync speed...TalkTalk's DLM normally puts you on the correct profile within 2-3 days. Post her current line stats and along with a latest speedtest and we'll tell you if she's on the correct profile or not smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up