User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User foresthillguy
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 13:02:54
Print Post

wireless router for talktalk - advice please!

[link to this post]

Hello all!

I'd be sooo grateful for some advice please.

I need to get a wireless router for our home setup, and we are with talktalk. I get a great speed result from our existing modem, and seek advice as to the best possible modem to get.

I understand that some Belkin routers are not the greatest with talktalk, although John Lewis is recommending them first.

I gather some folks recommend the Netgear DGND3300, and wonder what you might think?

Also, in terms of set up, I'm hoping to have the connection for our desktop upstairs, and a wireless set up for the rest of the house. Therefore, is it possible and/or advisable to keep the existing fixed modem upstairs, and install a wireless router downstairs. Will this work? I have enough phone lines around the house to do this. At the moment, all of the phone jacks have the little plugs in to reduce signal reduction to our primary modem.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to get this wrong and spend hours installing and then returning gear to a store if it doesn't work.

Many thanks in advance!
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Mon 25-Jul-11 13:57:59
Print Post

Re: wireless router for talktalk - advice please!

[re: foresthillguy] [link to this post]

Hi foresthillguy,

you can't use two routers at once. So you will need to find a router that suits all your needs. My own preference would be Netgear, I am not a fan of any of our standard routers and most definitely not Belkin ones.

Ady

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:09:43
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Not strictly true, but at a simple level reasonable advice.

If it is just the wireless that is an issue, find a wireless access point - this has no routing functionality, but simply acts as an ethernet to wireless converter.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User foresthillguy
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:28:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks both!

Reading what I wrote, I don't think I made myself clear about the way I was hoping to set everything up. What I meant was, can I leave our remaining old landline modem in place for the desktop, and set up a different wireless router elsewhere in the house, using one of the other phone jacks, for a wireless set up for the laptop?

I guess the real reason I'd like to do this is that I think I'll be using the laptop pretty much on a different floor of the house to that of the desktop.

I'm thinking you're going to say no...

But otherwise, if you recommend that Netgear router, that's great to know! Thanks!
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:59:51
Print Post

[re: foresthillguy] [link to this post]

I think you can only have 1 modem per 1 ADSL line....so a no-no in your case. Do what i do: connect your wireless router to your telephone socket and buy a wireless N pci card for your desktop (i have this and its brilliant)

I'm also on a TalkTalk line and i used to have the Netgear DGND3300...its certainly a very good router (dual band). However if you're willing to spend around £100 on this, then you might as well pay an extra £20 or so and buy the best (IMHO) router currently available...the Billion 7800N. I'm using this on my TalkTalk line and its brilliant. Stays synced for months at a time. Have a look at the Amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadban...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up