User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:44:38
Print Post

Slow download speeds

[link to this post]

Hi I wonder if someone can help me. A friend of mine who is with TalkTalk broadband is experiencing very slow download speeds - around 500kbps - even though his router is consistently synced at 4768. I have rung talktalk who insist there isnt a problem when clearly something is wrong. I have checked all the obvious things like viruses etc and a BT Speedtest provides the following results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 112 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6976 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Would be very grateful for any help
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Mon 25-Jul-11 18:41:00
Print Post

Re: Slow download speeds

[re: Footys] [link to this post]

Clearly, the low speed is due to the IP Profile currently being set to 135 Kbps. How long has this problem been occurring? The IP Profile is set automatically by BT's dynamic line management system, and should automatically increase after 3 days assuming sync is maintained. Make sure the router remains connected and is not rebooted. If the problem persists it may be a stuck IP Profile. At some point, the router must have resynced at seriously low speed, causing the drop in IP Profile.
Standard User Deputy_Dog
(learned) Tue 26-Jul-11 00:55:50
Print Post

Also I recommend you tell your friend to get onto the TalkTalk Members Forums and register. He will find that the talktalk staff on the forum are helpful unlike talktalk telephone support.

Most people here will tell you that not only are talktalk telephone support unhelpful they can even make things worse whereas the forum staff will sort things for you and try to resolve any problems you have.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User The_Islander
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 09:27:20
Print Post

[re: Deputy_Dog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deputy_Dog:
Also I recommend you tell your friend to get onto the TalkTalk Members Forums and register. He will find that the talktalk staff on the forum are helpful unlike talktalk telephone support.

Most people here will tell you that not only are talktalk telephone support unhelpful they can even make things worse whereas the forum staff will sort things for you and try to resolve any problems you have.

But it must the account holder that registers. They will not communicate with non account holders as a rule.

The Islander
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:18:00
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

The 3 day rule vanished years ago...

A big change should happen pretty much same day, or within an hour. But small single step changes might take 5 days.

If profile is stuck low, then invariably there is a low speed sync event that is not obvious to the user

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Wed 27-Jul-11 12:08:04
Print Post

Hi Footys,

have you managed to get this resolved?

Ady

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to