User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Sun 11-Sep-11 17:04:00
Print Post

Talktalk Fibre

[link to this post]

I live about 9km from the exchange and usually sync just over the 0.5mb mark. My exchange and cabinet I connect to has been upgraded for fibre, but that is still approximately 6km away. On the fibre page, I registerd my interest and was given a speed estimate of 5mb. Unfortuneately I still can't order it. I spoke to talktalk who said all there lines would eventually be upgraded using fibre where available.
So maybe there is some hope for us who don't even make the 5mb minimum speed necessity of current products. Fibre will shave a third off my distance but I can't get an advantage til someone comes up with a product.

Anyone else heard these rumours?
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Sep-11 17:45:40
Print Post

Re: Talktalk Fibre

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

That sounds very unlikely that TalkTalk are upgrading all there lines to fibre where available , i tell you why .
The fibre is being rolled out by BT and to take the fibre upgrade with TalkTalk cost a extra £10 a month .
So if the rumour was true TalkTalk are planing to put every one on fibre where available , even if they want it or not and putting every ones bills up by £10 a month , sounds like corporate suicide .

I would say you have been told a load of old bull IMHO . TalkTalk sales have a reputation of talking a load of bull any way but if you want a fiber product it might be worth looking at a reseller like ADSL24 / Vivaciti ect that will take your order if available on your cabinet .

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe

Edited by woweebert (Sun 11-Sep-11 17:52:35)

Standard User Myth
(member) Mon 12-Sep-11 13:55:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jtthedevil:
I spoke to talktalk who said all there lines would eventually be upgraded using fibre where available.

"....where available" pretty much covers them whatever happens. Unless BT upgrade your line to fibre TT can say it isn't available.

How many neighbours are in similar position? Have you considered laying your own fibre and then maybe using WIMAX between neighbours. There was a farm on the news that did that, though they owned all the fields that they dug up smile)

I had a similar thing in a village, dedicated narrowbeam transmission between my village and another village with the exchange in, then each property had a thing called a Total Air Bridge aimed at the central village transmitter/receiver. I think the whole system was 10mbit, but each personal connection was limited to 2mbit/2mbit up/down.

http://villagebroadband.com/ I was living in Denton then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/7586... One of the village things on the news

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Edited by Myth (Mon 12-Sep-11 13:55:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 17:46:54
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

While I usually take sales patter with a quarry load of salt, I was wondering if there is going to be a product other than the Infinity (15mb min) and broadband with fibre (5mb min) offered at some stage. It would be a 10 times speed leap for me to even get to 5mb which I would pay good money for. I've already checked with ADSL24 who I was with before for broadband and they say its not available on my line, probably due to the distance. Even if I wasn't getting 5mb, i'm sure the suppliers are looking at something like this to supply the 2mb uso.

The cabinet i'm on is about 3km away from where it appears to pop out of the ground to supply the overhead cables. I've asked BT if there are plans to put in a sub cabinet with fibre to supply the area but no joy as yet. I can't even get someone to talk to about it and i'm relying on a generic email address on the nibroadband webpage.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Sep-11 10:57:40
Print Post

"Infinity (15mb min) and broadband with fibre (5mb min) "

You have swallowed the incorrect idea that fibre is ran by BT Retail. You are describing the BT Retail products and not the underlying Openreach products that TalkTalk and other providers use.

The fibre roll-out is early and it possible given the distances that (a) the cabinet you think is not really the cabinet (b) the estimated speed is below what Openreach want to install at yet.

(b) in the early days of ADSL i.e. first five years there was limits on line length, to try and avoid problem lines, and a similar mentality of getting the good lines connected first will be what is happening again.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Sep-11 11:03:01
Print Post

Put your phone number in this checker and see if it mentions FTTC at all, then at least you will have an idea if you can or can not get it without listening to sales people.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Post back the results.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 14-Sep-11 17:51:36
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Just tried this link on our TalkTalk phone number

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line ...."

Does this work with anyone elses TalkTalk LLU number?

Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 18:30:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT checker doesn't seem to show talktalk LLU details. I know which cabinet i'm on as I was loosing sync last year and the BT engineer told me there was corrosion on the connecters at the cabinet, so I was able to confirm which one.
I think you are right Mr S, there will eventually be a 'whatever speed you can get' product. I'm just hoping its sooner rather than later!
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Sep-11 19:14:36
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

If you have full LLU (MPF) then it wont work as the line is not a BT Based line.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 14-Sep-11 19:25:45
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I thought all TT LLU were full metal path

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to