User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommaso46
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-11 08:18:05
Print Post

TalkTalk web server on the blink- again?

[link to this post]

This happened before about 2-3 weeks ago. Sluggish searching for web pages with frequent dropouts, and lots of misleading suggestions from techies about checking your modem/line speed, getting a BT engineer to come and check the line, etc until a few hours later everything went back to normal again.

Throughout this period the mail server at TalkTalk seemed to be working fine.

Now it's happening again today. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Tom in London

Edited by tommaso46 (Thu 29-Sep-11 08:36:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 08:34:31
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk web server on the blink- again?

[re: tommaso46] [link to this post]

If lots of websites are slow, then not their web service, but possibly a proxy/filter server is having problems

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommaso46
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-11 08:38:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, whatever it is it isn't a fault at the user end. I hope they speedily fix it as they did before, and don't start giving spurious advice to end users, sending them on wild goose chases that have nothing to do with the issue.

At the moment it's very difficult to even post in this forum- the connection is so slow.

Emails are continuing to go in and out with no problems.

Tom in London

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roy124
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 09:10:24
Print Post

Yes. I started monitoring my speeds from 22 Sep and they were abysmal. Then the penny dropped - all the speed checks originated from the same IP address. I rebooted the router, got a new faster IP address. Rebooted again and doubled once more to 3.8. That was last night.

I rebooted once again this morning, new IP again, but speed back to 2.8.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the rollout of the faster AOL based BB. I have been predicted to get 10 mps next week.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 09:42:27
Print Post

[re: Roy124] [link to this post]

Not so much the IP address being faster, but in your case sounds more like congestion, and by rebooting you go onto a different part of the network sometimes, that is less congested.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roy124
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 10:03:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Same difference. IP Address is faster as it has less congestion.

What is quite clear is that a given IP address has a consistent speed. My best would range between 5.8-6.8 with very occasional blips. OK, so I got lucky and found a less congested server.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 20:08:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommaso46:
This happened before about 2-3 weeks ago. Sluggish searching for web pages with frequent dropouts, and lots of misleading suggestions from techies about checking your modem/line speed, getting a BT engineer to come and check the line, etc until a few hours later everything went back to normal again.

Throughout this period the mail server at TalkTalk seemed to be working fine.

Now it's happening again today. Is anyone else experiencing this?
It's not the "web server" - you don't connect to TalkTalk's unless you visit their web site.

It's more likely to be the DNS servers. Try Google's DNS servers instead.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
  Print Thread

Jump to