User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anything_but
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 08:51:27
Print Post

TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[link to this post]

Just seen on sam knows that my exchange ( Shorne - NDSHO ) is being enabled as of 18/01/2012.
As this will be the 1st LLU supplier at my exchange i`m keen to find out how they are as a isp.
Will be looking to go the whole hog with phone and bb,currently with plusnet for bb.
How are they with traffic shaping,usenet,streaming,gaming( VERY important laugh ).

Cheers.

Edited by anything_but (Sat 08-Oct-11 10:43:04)

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:16:13
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[re: anything_but] [link to this post]

I have been a TT customer for more than two years, i have never had cause to phone customer support and can honestly say i am more than happy with the service.
I recently rang the retention team (when my 18 month contract ended) and i now only pay £3 per month for phone and broadband and i asked for a free router as a back up and it arrived three days later.
The downside is phone support which has always had a terrible reputation, this may of course be because people rarely visit forums to say how great something is but always do to say how terrible something is, if like me you never need to phone CS you will never find out.
There is also a members forum where you can get help from the on-line communications experts but its not live and of course you need to get on-line (family, friends computer) to receive help if your problem is broadband related.
Gaming is great we have XBox and PS3 and have never had any problems, P2P is a different matter, if you use P2P a lot you might want to stay where you are it is throttled heavily, streaming is fine but i cannot comment on usenet as i have never used it.

My speed and ping - http://www.speedtest.net/result/1523335895.png (taken when my lad was using PS3 online)

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Sat 08-Oct-11 11:23:10)

Standard User kojak
(regular) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:26:56
Print Post

I wouldent bother they are a bad service provider and they frottle back your line avoid at all cost trust me you will regret it.

I was with Tiscali was getting 7mb talkralk bought tiscali my speed went down to 3md I am now with sky and i am getting 16mg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kojak
(regular) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:28:41
Print Post

[re: kojak] [link to this post]

Talktalk have been voted by OFCOM as the worest ISP for the las two years
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:32:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by kojak:
I wouldent bother they are a bad service provider and they frottle back your line

As i said in my previous post they throttle P2P and make no secret of the fact this doesn't make them a "bad service provider" as you say above, the advantage is it keeps gaming pings low and speeds high because the illegal down-loaders stay away, apparently newsgroups are not throttled.
Standard User anything_but
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:34:32
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

Well,i`m tech savvy enough to sort out most problems that crop up so never really had to deal with any cs with the isps i`ve been with in the past.
Really do need to know about usenet tho,but good to know about the gaming side as that`s definatly a major consideration.
Been waiting years for a LLU operator at my exchange so just trying to gen up before the live date.
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:40:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by kojak:
Talktalk have been voted by OFCOM as the worest ISP for the las two years

I used to be with IDNet a small ISP, customer service was excellent because of this, TT have 4.5 million customers (or more) so obviously they are going to have a lot more unhappy customers than a small ISP but they are also going to have a high number of happy customers like me who never post how great the service is until they read threads like this.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:58:57
Print Post

Once it has gone live consider a reseller of TT, in some cases have shorter contracts etc. You will have to touch base individually as all won’t offer a resell.

I'm alright Jack....
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:59:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by anything_but:
Well,i`m tech savvy enough to sort out most problems that crop up so never really had to deal with any cs with the isps i`ve been with in the past.
Really do need to know about usenet tho,but good to know about the gaming side as that`s definatly a major consideration.
Been waiting years for a LLU operator at my exchange so just trying to gen up before the live date.

As Jack has said, you'll be fine with TalkTalk provided you don't dabble in P2P. If you don't have any line issues you'll get line speeds 24/7, low pings, fastpath profile if req'd and very good support via the forums. Don't listen to the uneducated masses who's only experience of Talktalk is through heresay!

Also have a look at this thread:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/f/4047280...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up