User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Greigster
(member) Mon 10-Oct-11 23:29:38
Print Post

How do I get connected?

[link to this post]

I am due to move into my new home tomorrow but how do I get connected to TalkTalk broadband and phone line as the previous owner has taken his phone number with him to his new house?
I want to try and go through a cashback site but talktalk are asking for a phone number, which I do not have. I dont want to pay for a new line as the line has been working up to the property move.

Thanks for any advice
Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 05:24:52
Print Post

Re: How do I get connected?

[re: Greigster] [link to this post]

dial 17070 to see if the line has a number attached

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Standard User Greigster
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 18:08:25
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Myth:
dial 17070 to see if the line has a number attached

Thanks for that Myth,
I have plugged in a phone to this line and although it has a dialling tone, I am unable to make a call.
I tried dialling 17070 and this gives me a phone number for the line, but it seems to be on stop.

The reason I wanted to sign up online as I get a £60 Tesco voucher by going through" Uswitch" see this link :- https://api.collectoffers.com/widget...C-8DA735DA4C6E

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 18:25:35
Print Post

ok, do you know if the number given is the one the previous owner is taking with him?

I think I'd ring BT and ask what they know about that number.

Even though I had a number listed on 17070 when I rung it moving in 2009, it wasn't the number I was given by BT when I registered at new address. It is the new number the ISP needs.

The physical line is fine, you don't need a new line, but you need to tell BT that you are new at that address and they will assign a number to that line. Then use that number with your ISPs.

If BT say they don't own the line then it becomes trickier

Standard User Greigster
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 18:42:33
Print Post

Thanks for that Myth,
The number that 17070 gave me is a different number to the one that the previous owner had/has taken with him to his new address. Presumably this is the new assigned number for my new address. The old number was working from this address up to yesterday. So I can only assume the new number has been assigned in the last 24/36 hours, but with it not being a fully working line, how will that work?
Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 18:55:45
Print Post

i think when u actually talk to BT and organise a contract, they'll give you another new number.

Next step is talk to BT smile

Standard User Greigster
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 18:58:14
Print Post

If I talk to BT, does that mean I will have to pay them to give me a new number?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Oct-11 21:02:01
Print Post

If you talk to BT you will end up ordering a line rental service via them.

http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/new-lines

It is handled over the phone. The complications of new line provision generally mean that offers and cashbacks are null and void.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 22:30:06
Print Post

sorry, think i was getting a bit out of touch with your original request.
At present the phone line to your new house has a number assigned, but this number isn't assigned to you. So if someone made a call, BT wouldn't know who to bill. The line is therefore barred via software and is ready to be activated. You can activate it but I expect a 12 month contract to be the way it would happen.

The TalkTalk new line stuff doesn't really say whether it includes activation of your existing line, but since yours is a common situation I assume it does. Looks like its a £50 charge.

Andrew says the cash-back stuff doesn't really work in this situation, so I think take that as gospel.

Looks like you need to call TT and tell them the situation, or you could try the number you are getting from 17070 in the cash-back site.

Standard User Greigster
(member) Wed 12-Oct-11 07:39:26
Print Post

Thanks very much Myth and Mr. S, you have both given me good information. I will try via the cashback site using the number I have been given by 17070 to see how far I get.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to