User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steve1402
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 23:41:58
Print Post

Talk Talk Plus & router

[link to this post]

Hi

I am currently using TalkTalk business (I originally signed up with OPAL) and have a couple of questions as I have just transferred to TalkTalk residential, but can still opt out...

1. Does the 'plus' service provide a 'N' router? This is the main reason I switched other than reduced cost
2. Is the support good and UK based
3. Is the UUL service generally deemed to be ok - very difficult and discussed load elsewhere I know, just trying to get a feel of things...

Cheers
Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 23:51:50
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Plus & router

[re: steve1402] [link to this post]

Echolife HG532 I believe which is a b/g/n device

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-11 01:37:27
Print Post

2. Is the support good and UK based
Telephone support is based in India with "script-monkeys" answering the calls. Do not, under any circumstances, use it. Join and use the UK based TT Members Forum instead.
3. Is the UUL service generally deemed to be ok - very difficult and discussed load elsewhere I know, just trying to get a feel of things...
UUL Huh? Perhaps you mean LLU? It is no problem if you intend to remain with TT. If you are a person who likes to swap CPs every year, then you will experience tediousness when moving from TT to A.N.Other.

I have been with TT for the last four and a half years . . . smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User steve1402
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 08:43:16
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I did mean LLU - UUL is another acronym I have in my head to do with a project I'm running - doh!

Anyway, thanks for the advice folks. My biggest concern now is the support. Not to configure routers etc (I can do this fine - configuring firewalls and routers is par for the course at work and I'm surrounded by highly qualified Cisco engineers should anything beat me), I'm more thinking about the experience if you need to raise a call for a bad line and so on.

For example, TalkTalk Business, my current supplier, have a dedicated UK based call centre and you get straight through to an British engineer who is able to sort any issues with ease. Due to my location, I often have physical line trouble (it's all above land copper and I'm about 3.5k away from the exchange). When I have called previously, they have done line checks, took my mobile number and called back within say 5 mins to continue the discussion. First class dedicated support in that respect, but its about £28/month for line and broadband.

It's also a max 20:1 contention and I believe residential is more like 50:1 - unsure here though?

Anyway, I take it I shouldn't expect this same level of service, but is TalkTalk residential the complete opposite?

Thanks
Steve
Standard User steve1402
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 08:52:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll do a bit of research on this one smile
Standard User steve1402
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 09:56:49
Print Post

Well, after having a good think, I cancelled my application with TalkTalk Residential and stayed put with TalkTalk Business. Their retention dept. offered a reduced monthly rate and a new 'n' router for free.

In fairness to TalkTalk Residential, I found their support and help excellent! However, I was talking to their retention dept!!!

Thanks
Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Nov-11 11:02:56
Print Post

Their support forums work best for support on the residential side.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to