User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-11 20:28:08
Print Post

What decides which exchange to unbundle?

[link to this post]

Been looking at Sam Know for my county (Pembrokeshire) and it seems TalkTalk are unbundling every exchange over a couple of thousand lines - except mine - which is the largest in the county, even one at 3,780 lines which already has Sky LLU (so slim pickings for another LLU operator)

What I'm trying to work out is why SWPM doesnt seem to get a look in?

I tried emailing TalkTalk a while back, but while up till last year they were happy to button-hole me a few times a week in the Supermarkets to try to persuade me to sign up - now they seem to have lost the will to communicate. Someone at TalkTalk must know why we are being left out here.

I'm not interested in signing up for promises of Jam Tomorrow, I nearly fell for the Sky con last year when the line checker on the Sky site claimed that every single exchange in this county was "about to be unbundled". I wont move any service to a company until they show me that they are bringing something better to what will soon be a lone large Market One exchange in the county.

So how about it TalkTalk reps? Can you tell me what is so wrong with SWPM that we dont figure in the LLU roll out thats happening in most other exchanges around here??

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 08:41:28
Print Post

Re: What decides which exchange to unbundle?

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Looking at a map once I figured out it is Pembroke, lots of other exchanges in the area with no LLU, so perhaps it is case of being the end of the line, and might make it eventually

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 01-Dec-11 10:01:31
Print Post

I doubt very much you will get the answer you are looking for from any ISP until it happens. Although from my experience on WNNN, there was TT sales pitched up at a supermarket, Sky man in the precinct, in the summer of 2010, TT had RFS date come and go for 3years prior. Then in Late August 2010 TT went live, Sky a week or so later, the only conclusion that I could draw and make sense of, TT had massed enough customers to LLU and Sky also, trying to get answer before hand of exact date was impossible, to the point it was more unlikely!

However 21cn is another matter.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Dec-11 13:40:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thats the thing..
Milford Haven 6,627 lines TT RFS 27/02/12
Neyland 2,574 lines TT RFS 27/02/12
Johnston 1,787 lines TT RFS 30/11/11
Haverfordwest 6,992 lines TT RFS 12/01/12
BT WBC RFS 31/01/12
Fishguard 2,944 lines TT RFS 27/02/12
Narberth 1,844 lines TT RFS 27/02/12
Saundersfoot 3,780 lines TT RFS 20/12/11 (sky unbundled this earlier this year - first llu in the county)
Tenby 3,240 lines TT RFS 22/11/11
BT WBC RFS 31/1/12
Pembroke 7,997 lines........................................ Nothing and no prospect.

Neyland and Milford are probably further west than Pembroke

Pembroke is twice the size of Saundersfoot, which serves a large rural area of small villages where as Pembroke serves 2 towns that sit either side of the hill... one the Historic settlement town.. the other.. a Victorian Dockyard town, so Im In the Historic town but still under 3 km from the exchange which was sited to be able to serve both towns in the early 60's when they took out Pembroke's own exchange

For years people on TBB have been telling me "your exchange is too small to be interesting to ISPs.. well that has been shot down in flames now... it seems size doesn't decide this, especially as several of the "to be unbundled" areas are touristy places that have a fair number of holiday homes and tourist lets..... so what is wrong with Pembroke which has a large resident population and business parks etc?

It makes no sense.. we pay too much for what we get bue to BTw's pricing, please don't hold up that OFCOM forced a cut in the price of 20cn.. whoop de do!!!! We saw NOTHING out of that... I know of No one here that has seen a price drop... or an increase in data allowance.. and speeds are no better.. if anything browsing is slower in the evening now.

As ever.. it makes no sense. some areas are spoon fed while the rest of us are left behind paying what seems over the odds for a 2nd rate service.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 14:31:45
Print Post

TalkTalk with 89% UK coverage is slowly adding more exchanges, but at the rate they are doing there are going to be ones who miss out, but it may be you are due in another list that is yet to be announced.

TalkTalk may also be looking at the number of existing customers they have on each exchange, combined with costs from BT which can vary from exchange to exchange, e.g. the need for extra building work to accomodate the LLU kit

It is guesswork, really as TalkTalk will not say about specific rules, as it would allow a competitor to figure it out.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-11 00:17:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by warweezil:
Saundersfoot 3,780 lines
Tenby 3,240 lines

That surprises me. I'd have thought that Tenby serviced far more lines than Saundersfoot.
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:22:03
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Take the RFS takes with a huge pinch of salt. Just up the coast here in Ceredigion both the Cardigan and Aberystwyth dates have been and gone with no sign of an LLU service.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-11 13:54:33
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

I think you replied to the wrong post. However, it's correct what you say about RFS's. a tiny exchange near me has just been unbundled by Sky and TT withouit any notice whatsoever whilst other much larger exchange dates have have passed by years.
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Fri 02-Dec-11 17:53:23
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
I think you replied to the wrong post. However, it's correct what you say about RFS's. a tiny exchange near me has just been unbundled by Sky and TT withouit any notice whatsoever whilst other much larger exchange dates have have passed by years.

No - I was referring to the RFS dates in the previous posts.
Standard User Myth
(member) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:59:38
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

but you replied to deadbeat's post, which is why he said the wrong post (not the wrong thread smile)

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to