User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User atj003
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-11 08:39:12
Print Post

Any ideas on the Oron Transparent proxy issue?

[link to this post]

Hi.

I had a rather funny email back off Oron.
they suggested I use.

To restore access add this "82.192.86.132 oron.com www.oron.com" to your hosts file in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts

which isnt working for us anymore.

lol when I replied and told them this they basically said leave current provider.
which we are going to do after Christmas because the peak time performance has gone pretty nasty the last 4 weeks.

I was just wondering please is there another IP address I could try instead of this one?im totally out of my depth on this issue.

Its almost like Oron is being blocked because half the time I cant even log into my account...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Dec-11 14:41:36
Print Post

Re: Any ideas on the Oron Transparent proxy issue?

[re: atj003] [link to this post]

Not blocked but file host firms are used for all many of files, and if one uploader put something very dodgy, i.e. clearly illegal material on, then it may have been reported to IWF and the proxy system providers use will kick in.

The side effect is a slow down for all access to a site generally.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User atj003
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:51:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

apparently the IP Address Oron suggest people use was Tagged yesterday.
just a bit annoying really and a lesson learned not worth taking out a long term plan with them as at the moment its basically useless.

Cant understand why Talktalk are so slow sorting this issue out when plusnet apparently sorted the issue out within days

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User atj003
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 22:38:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wanted to make sure it wasnt an issue with my Firewall or cookie problem.
So I did a full format of my C Drive.
still nothing.I connected to my brothers Sky connection (network dongle and this PC) got me there right away.

I did finally Get access to Barclays site earlier another one that wasnt allowing me access and Cheap smells.com.

Ive asked and asked about the Oron problem no reply from talktalk so im assuming it just suits them to ignore the issue.I have started getting the Retenion team calling though.It would be a farce trying to change this near Christmas but im really not impressed how they pick n mix the questions they want to answer.Im quite disappointed in that aspect.

Edited by atj003 (Mon 12-Dec-11 22:38:37)

Standard User Futaura
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 23:52:02
Print Post

[re: atj003] [link to this post]

Wow - formatting your drive is a bit extreme! You mention Barclays - is this often a problem site for you? I'm just wondering if this could be a MTU problem, since an incorrectly set value on the router and/or PC could cause symptoms that could be mistaken for a site being blocked. I have to say that I've never had a single problem accessing Barclays (except when their own site was saying the service was unavailable, like it was this morning) and I do so a few times a week.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Dec-11 09:29:57
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

MTU issues do tend to show up more when accessing SSL (padlock icon) HTTPS sites.

The way IWF lists work is that ISP staff do not know what URL is blocked, the few times it does get known it is usually just the domain that is known.

The idea of the IWF list being invisible is to avoid it being used as a list of what clearly illegal content is out there.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User atj003
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-11 11:04:08
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

i read on world of warcraft forum that people that had the beta of old Republic and wow installed had some issues with windows 7.

So i thought it best to be 100% certain its been causing some major grief apparently with some bug in the launcher.

ive only had this problem since I lost sync totally about 4 weeks ago I had no ADSL for around 10 mins.it was about the same time as 'my account' was down for those days.until then everything was working fine and it tied in with the peak time pings increase (which is still going on in the evenings) it really is baffling because up until then the service was good.
  Print Thread

Jump to