User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cdldt
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-11 14:59:40
Print Post

TalkTalk LLU Questions

[link to this post]

TalkTalk are able to provide LLU from my exchange, and I'm currently thinking of moving from my current ISP to them.

Does anybody know the answer to the following questions:
1) Is it possible to permanently fix the line profile to 6dB SNR (no DLM)?
2) Is it possible to set INP and interleaving levels?
3) Is it possible to cap the upstream to 448kbps, as on BT, to avoid the downstream decreasing?

I know these are all available on BT 21CN WBC (and my line is currently configured this way after DLM initially made a complete hash of things) but what about TalkTalk LLU?
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Dec-11 15:28:00
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk LLU Questions

[re: cdldt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cdldt:
TalkTalk are able to provide LLU from my exchange, and I'm currently thinking of moving from my current ISP to them.

Does anybody know the answer to the following questions:
1) Is it possible to permanently fix the line profile to 6dB SNR (no DLM)?
2) Is it possible to set INP and interleaving levels?
3) Is it possible to cap the upstream to 448kbps, as on BT, to avoid the downstream decreasing?

I know these are all available on BT 21CN WBC (and my line is currently configured this way after DLM initially made a complete hash of things) but what about TalkTalk LLU?
Although not a tt customer myself, i would imagine that 6db would be the default nm, but users can request different profiles via support,but how easy this is i do not know,
As for INP and interleaving, both can be turned off if the line is stable without them there won't be an issue, and you would see an increase in sync speed as well as lower latency ideal for gaming ect, i believe that they do run their version of DLM, at first,but as to if it's always on only someone who's a tt customer could tell you that,
As for number (3) why would you want this? LLU is a very different beast to BT 's version of ADSL, for a start tt is usually ADSL2+ upto 24mbps downstream & upto 1mbps or higher 1.4 being the limit for ADSL2+
The higher upload should not have any impact on your downstream sync, you maybe getting confused with Annex M (upload +) that increases it upto 2.5mbps) but that can and does have an impact on downstream sync on longer lines, but as tt don't offer annex M you don't need to worry about that are there any other llu isp's available to you or FTTC/H ? check out Samknows BB checker and see what your options are,if you haven't already done so,
and don't forget that both phone & bb will be moved onto tt llu same thing with sky too, this in it's self is not a problem, but can become one later on should you ever wish to leave them, it also can be costly in some shape or form too, particularly if you wanted adsl with another isp, the normal MAC code process does not apply to Full llu ,

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 21-Dec-11 15:36:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-11 15:35:59
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

1. Yes can be done via their support forums, usually a sticky post asking for the appropriate information
2. INP not seen that played with, and interleave can be requested off I think.
3. As said, the standard ADSL2+ products do not sacrifice downstream to manage the 1 Mbps upstream that is possible on ADSL2+, only if you opt for Annex M

The online forum for TalkTalk customers is the place to get support, sometimes it can take a day or so to resolve the login issues, but so long as you have an alternate connection e.g. pop around neighbours if yours fails it is by far the best option.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cdldt
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-11 16:12:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank-you both for your replies, very helpful.
Standard User Gene_Genie
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-11 17:20:16
Print Post

[re: cdldt] [link to this post]

Some quick answers for you:

1) Yes and no. You can request a 6db profile with DLM off, but DLM will kick back in if things go really badly pear-shaped, although it's not nearly as aggressive as BT's version so if your line is good it will leave you alone.
The default is 24ISNR12, but there's no training period, so you can switch to 24FSNR6 straight away if that's what you want.

2) You can have interleaving either on or off, there are no levels as such.

3) No.

Do everything via the forum, it's less painful.
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/
Standard User The_Islander
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-11 20:31:57
Print Post

[re: Gene_Genie] [link to this post]

The only issue is that TT DLM can be disabled but it's only temporary. It is reviewed and if necessary switched back on.

Whilst I was with them I tried Fastpath. That can help if you are into on-line games.

This site has more info about TT DLM https://www.broadbandadvice.org.uk/Website/Special%2...

The Islander

Plus Net Value - 21CN ADSL2+ Market 3 Exchange - Firefox 8.0 - Beer : Hop Back Summer Lightning
Router: Netgear DG834G v5

Edited by The_Islander (Wed 21-Dec-11 20:33:49)

Print Thread

Jump to