User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 11:44:42
Print Post

Re: How long to enable a exchange

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Its the largest in the county and sits between 2 towns (being sited there to replace 2 old exchanges, while there are areas that are on the extreme end of range, the majority of lines are in areas that should see an improvement. There are exchanges in this area that are 1/4 the size of mine (or less) that have RFS dates. The annoying thing is that no one will talk to us (Ironically talktalk wont talk it seems)about why we have been left out of this sweep. Sam Knows has it as a shade under 8000 lines, a couple of BT engineers have told me that figures is out of date (Ive not seen it change in over 5 years despite all the new builds that have gone up) and the count should be much closer to 10k lines. One small exchange will soon have 3 providers offering ADSL2/2+.

Yes the maps show low speeds lines, strangely those lines are often comparable in distance or location to mine suggesting that the issue is individual to that line, and that is even true for speed tests I have seen on sites for people in the same street as the exchange!

It is also true that some small areas (Bishops Park, Grove, St Daniels Hill and parts of Holyland Road) may have long lines, but most parts of the "exchange area" should see a benefit.

Its annoying when you think how overpriced ADSL1 is. I know of one ISP that gives a huge chunk of extra bandwidth allowance to 21cn exchanges To get a half decent service (which I am still far from happy with in terms of performance and value) in this area you have to pay around £20, which is close on the cost of an upto 5 times faster FTTx package.

We have some LLU here - but its "private" operated on behalf of the L.A. by a company called Updata, it isn't listed on Sam Knows, but I tripped over reference to it on some site somewhere. Ironic that we (as council tax payers) are paying for an LLU service but have no access to anything like it ourselves - despite ADSL2/2+ being a mainstream service.

I'd just like Talktalk to have the good manners to answer my email inquiry about this. They wont even acknowledge it when you raise it via Twitter (@talktalkcare) as my partner did. Its bad enough being bypassed while the rest of the county are finally catching up with the rest of the UK, but no one will even have the decency to tell us why we are being left out.

Is it really too much to ask?

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 11:55:30
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
I've heard (from an engineer) that something will be happening with the Pembroke Dock exchange later this year

Maybe he means they are going to paint it... lol

I tend to view BT's promises with skepticism, we have seen RFS dates before for this county, and they disappeared and took a couple of years to return. The same with LLU operators - Sky had a nice scam going last year where every exchange that a line estimate was run on through their site generated an "about to upgrade your exchange" message even Angle - which has about 55 lines! of course it was B/S but how many across the Uk on small market one exchanges were duped into signing up on the promise of "Jam tomorrrow"?

Im just disappointed that Talktalk wont engage with people on SWPM and tell us why they have not included us in the roll out in Pembrokeshire.

I was interested to see a recent speedtest I ran on the TT website led me to a page where they claim to deliver 24 Megs to my exchange... really? On a market one exchange where they resell BTw services?

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:12:17
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

The L.A LLU you refer to is actually Fibre (or at least in Tenby it definitely is) - I work on it quite often as an IT Engineer for the County.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:18:33
Print Post

I'm surprised Angle has as many as 55 lines wink
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:35:46
Print Post

It may have been 40... There were many checks run at the time across a range of exchanges.... and I to be honest I CBA to check Sam Knows. lol

(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:41:41
Print Post

hahaha!
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:44:49
Print Post

OK you got me at it...

We are both right to some degree. Res Lines 40 Business lines 14 so 54 in total on SWAGL tongue

(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:56:04
Print Post

LOL Angle's like a blink and you miss it type of place - didn't think there'd b 54 people brave enough to live there wink
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jan-12 13:47:18
Print Post

Surprising to see how many are connected to the Castlemartin exchange too, must be an awful lot of long lines, the actual village is probably smaller than Angle which is probably .. a mile or so long?

I wonder How places like Maidenwells get by? I know they are on the 685xxx range and have ADSL, I assume they have some equipment locally to them as it is a few miles from the Pembroke Dock Exchange building.

Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Tue 10-Jan-12 14:33:56
Print Post

I think Maidenwells is covered by the pembrook dock exchange looking at the samknows exchange mapping data. We have a similar situation in Aberystwyth where the exchange coveres some smaller villages several miles south.

Edited by huwwatkins (Tue 10-Jan-12 14:48:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to