User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kazaam
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-12 11:38:43
Print Post

TalkTalk Slow Internet, requires router reboot!

[link to this post]

My ADSL broadband, on TalkTalk slows down every 2-3 hours I find and it works fantastic when I reboot.

My download speed is 4Mbps after a reboot, and at pingtest.net, I get an A, however, after a wee while, these sites struggle to load, and furthermore my ping score pingtest.net increases to above 1000ms/ F

I have my own router. I have tried a Linksys X2000 which I am using right now and I have the same problem with my Netgear DGN2000.

What could be wrong?
This is really frustrating!!

I have tried registering with TT Forums, but it says I don't exist, must be because I ave been transferred from Pipex...

Here are details:

1. What exchange are you connected to? Blantyre
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have? 1
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket? Yes
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket? Yes
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection? N/A
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate? Yes
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket? Yes
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service? No
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)? Cisco Linksys X2000 and Netgear DGN 2000
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model) Yes, as above, tried both routers
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter? N/A
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead? Yes (But using the short cable provided with router into the master socket faceplate seems to bring up the same problem)
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up? (Can't see that??)
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up? (Downstream - 5208kbps) and (Upstream - 985kbps)
12. What is your attenuation down and up? down - 52db and up - 30.4db
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time? No
14. Are you currently using Wireless? Yes
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line? Yes

This is a really frustrating problem and I would appreciate any help/suggestions

I don't seem to be experiencing any disconnections as such, just very slow internet speeds, which go as low as 0.2Mbps (download)

If this is not sorted soon, I will definitely be moving away from TalkTalk. Phoned their customer support yesterday, was abysmal, the guy, was obviously reading off some troubleshooting guide asking me the same questions, and kept mentioning disconnections and things which I had not stated as being the problem, finally to reach the conclusion that "We cannot troubleshoot with you any further as you are not using one of our supported routers". I then got put through to Customer Services who want me to take out a new 12 month contract before they will supply me with a new free router, and I am not willing to pay for one. The agent emphasises how the contract would be cheaper, but HELL NO, I don't want to get roped into a contract if I have to spend my life rebooting the router!

I cannot find SNR on either router!

Edited by kazaam (Sun 08-Jan-12 23:13:39)

Standard User cornishweb
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-12 20:34:32
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Slow Internet, requires router reboot!

[re: kazaam] [link to this post]

Hi i use Talk Talk at home been with them for a while now and mine as always done the same thing, and only 2 weeks ago i moved to fibre but its still the same so this as to be more equipment they use.

Award Winning Web Hosting
Packages From £1.99 Monthly
Fast Uk & US servers 24/7 Support
cPanel
Hosting
Standard User kazaam
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-12 20:38:16
Print Post

[re: cornishweb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply!

My ping even goes reallllyyy low, between 800 to over 1000ms, which should not be happening regardless of download and upload speeds!

I don't know if it something TalkTalk is doing, I have a feeling it must be, as restart my router, and VOILA, I have an amazing connection, wait 20 minutes to half an hour, sometimes less, and you'd think I was on dial-up!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cornishweb
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-12 20:41:48
Print Post

[re: kazaam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kazaam:
Thanks for the reply!

My ping even goes reallllyyy low, between 800 to over 1000ms, which should not be happening regardless of download and upload speeds!

I don't know if it something TalkTalk is doing, I have a feeling it must be, as restart my router, and VOILA, I have an amazing connection, wait 20 minutes to half an hour, sometimes less, and you'd think I was on dial-up!

Yes it must be there end frown try and get on there member forums to ask but don't think it will get sorted because mine never as. but they might make it a bit better smile

Award Winning Web Hosting
Packages From £1.99 Monthly
Fast Uk & US servers 24/7 Support
cPanel
Hosting
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-12 08:44:18
Print Post

[re: cornishweb] [link to this post]

Change the must to might and might be ok to say it.

Which modem does the original poster have? On the page with the attenuation figures, are there really no noise margin numbers?

The symptons are in line with the noise margin lowering, the line having lots of errors, and a manual resync adjusting the speed/bin loading so that things do work well again.

High latency can be caused by massive amounts of errors, and TalkTalk modems tend to hang onto an error prone line, where many other modems have resynced (adjusted) to the noise environment by lowing the sync speed.

If noise margins are good, i.e. 6dB or higher, then try using an alternate DNS server on the PC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Thu 12-Jan-12 15:56:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Guys,

If you have a support issue please tweet us @TalktalkCare where we can provide full account and service based support.

Alternaitvely you may wish to join the TalkTalk Members Forum

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to