User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Trick_978
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-12 09:13:17
Print Post

Move from O2 - lost 1mb

[link to this post]

can someone help me please (or advise!).

I was with O2 broadband for a few years and it was good no problems. But I cancelled my o2 mobile and stopped getting discount, so decided to change ISP for a cheaper one.

With O2 i was getting 3.6mb/s connection using my own router.

Ive changed to Talk talk and now im lucky if i 2.6 - it ranges from 2-2.6.

What I dont understand is why using the exact same connections - i.e. line, modem etc that i get such a slower speed.

Are these things controlled by talk talk? i just assumed i would get the same speed when the ISP says up to x speed.

Im getting 12 SNR

Edited by Trick_978 (Mon 09-Jan-12 13:59:36)

Standard User GrahamWager
(learned) Mon 09-Jan-12 11:48:33
Print Post

Re: Move from O2 - lost 1mb

[re: Trick_978] [link to this post]

It can depend on the profile the ISP uses - I believe TalkTalk target 12dB whereas O2 may have been targetting 9 or 6dB which can cause some change in speed.

Take a look at your router stats for downstream SNR - if it's at 12dB get onto the TalkTalk member forums and ask for them to try changing it to 9 or 6.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 09-Jan-12 12:21:17
Print Post

Make a new post with the following information and ask advice from the OCEs. They are very helpful. A response will take a day or so as they only work 9-5.

This topic has been created to give you a number of diagnostics checks you can complete yourself along with some vital questions and information we require in order to be able to assist you further. Please note that the Online Community Executives "Green Tops" are unable to offer support in real-time, depending on the volume of posts it may take 1-2 days to get a reply from a member of staff.

We would recommend that you dont "bump" your topic. If there is no reply we would recommend using the "Edit" button to add further info. Each time you "bump" it gets sent to the back of the queue as they work oldest to newest posts first.

Make sure the answers to the questions below are in your first post, this will save alot of time!
--------------------------------------------------
1. What exchange are you connected to?
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have?
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket?
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket?
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection?
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate?
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket?
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service?
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)?
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model)
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter?
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead?
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up?
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up?
12. What is your attenuation down and up?
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time?
14. Are you currently using Wireless?
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 23:39:17
Print Post

more fool you mate, should have stayed with O2,full uk support, good customer service and a provider that doesnt treat you like a moron. leaving o2 is bad enough.........but going to talk talk !!, only got yourself to blame , and how long are you contractually tied now to that trainwreck ?

In reply to a post by Trick_978:

I was with O2 broadband for a few years and it was good no problems. But I cancelled my o2 mobile and stopped getting discount, so decided to change ISP for a cheaper one.

What I dont understand is why using the exact same connections - i.e. line, modem etc that i get such a slower speed.

Are these things controlled by talk talk? i just assumed i would get the same speed when the ISP says up to x speed.

Im getting 12 SNR

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.
Standard User Abe01
(member) Wed 11-Jan-12 17:28:18
Print Post

[re: bilbo8] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bilbo8:
more fool you mate, should have stayed with O2,full uk support, good customer service and a provider that doesnt treat you like a moron. leaving o2 is bad enough.........but going to talk talk !!, only got yourself to blame , and how long are you contractually tied now to that trainwreck ?

Im getting 12 SNR

And this is helping the OP how exactly?
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Wed 11-Jan-12 19:23:02
Print Post

[re: Abe01] [link to this post]

encourage him to get the hell out of that abomination of an ISP and find a decent provider,id say that is a great help.

In reply to a post by Abe01:

Im getting 12 SNR

And this is helping the OP how exactly?

Standard User Futaura
(committed) Wed 11-Jan-12 19:41:47
Print Post

encourage him to get the hell out of that abomination of an ISP and find a decent provider,id say that is a great help.

And how much hassle would that be, not to mention the contract termination fees? It's not really good advice when almost certainly everything is fine and all that is required is the line profile to be changed on the OP's line which will probably happen within one working day or requesting such a change on the TTMF. All new TT connections have a slower profile assigned because it helps guarantee stability - the profile can then be tweaked to suit the line, making it faster.

BTW, have O2 fixed the dropped connection problem that you were moaning about elsewhere? laugh
Standard User bilbo8
(experienced) Wed 11-Jan-12 22:03:01
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

fixed same day i posted about it, just a minor glitch in about 6 yrs of being a customer. far worse for members of TT who are paying for the worst broadband provider in the UK by far ...... verified , for a 12month contract

In reply to a post by Futaura:

And how much hassle would that be, not to mention the contract termination fees? It's not really good advice when almost certainly everything is fine and all that is required is the line profile to be changed on the OP's line which will probably happen within one working day or requesting such a change on the TTMF. All new TT connections have a slower profile assigned because it helps guarantee stability - the profile can then be tweaked to suit the line, making it faster.

BTW, have O2 fixed the dropped connection problem that you were moaning about elsewhere? laugh

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 12-Jan-12 07:39:34
Print Post

........fixed same day i posted about it, just a minor glitch in about 6 yrs of being a customer.........

So...you have been with your ISP for six years, so no relevant personal practical experience of this ISP............ and yet you have the gall to call the OP a fool.

This is nothing to do with helping/advising.supporting a fellow member of our forums...it is all about you continuing to grind your own very selfish axe....if any member doubts it your posting history should leave little doubt.

Frankly this continuing trolling.... up with it I will not put....last warning.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to