User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User inadee
(newbie) Wed 25-Jan-12 23:52:02
Print Post

How do I find out if I am getting ADSL2+

[link to this post]

I've been with TT 3 years and changed my original contract to TT+ getting a Huawei HG532 router which at the time gave me a speed test result of 11.7Mbps.
Further to problems printing from iPad2 via Airprint I got replacement router D-Link DSL2780 and found speed test was only ~4Mbps. Numerous calls to TT feed back to me that maximum speed possible for my line is 5Mbps and that I could expect nothing higher than 8Mbps. I felt certain that I had moved to an ADSL2+ service which should be giving me about 15Mbps but it appears that I am getting only DSLMax! How can I find out what ADSL service I am getting? Any advice would be well received!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 00:11:27
Print Post

Re: How do I find out if I am getting ADSL2+

[re: inadee] [link to this post]

Router stats needed. See if How to get your router line stats works for you?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User inadee
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 00:27:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My Stats say Mode: ADSL2+ Type: A But the speed reports 5051Kbps, SNR Margin: 12.8, Attenuation: 26. That indicates 1.8km from exchange - agree. My calculation works out that download speed should be ~15000kbps NOT 4000kbps! TT results lead me to believe that exchange is set to something else or 'throttled'.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 02:09:22
Print Post

Those are all the Down figures? Copy & paste all of Down/Up stats.

You should be getting over 17 Meg Sync @ 6 dB NM.

What stats plugged into test socket behind faceplate? Have you swapped filters? Have a long ADSL cable? Removed ring wire?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Thu 26-Jan-12 17:14:56
Print Post

Have you retried with the Huawei HG532 router? You say you had 11Mbps with that at one point, which would lead me to initially suspect it could maybe be the DLink at fault. Unless a line fault of some sort has developed in the meantime.
Standard User inadee
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 17:53:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The issue has been identified by TT engineer! I achieved initial fast download because I was one of the first TT customers in the area. A couple of tweeks to my current broadband have upped the speed to 5.7Mbps. The issue ticket to remain open for 7 days to ensure router sync remains stable.smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-12 18:02:07
Print Post

Engineer is confusing congestion with line connection speed, send them back to school.

How are the stats now?
5051Kbps, SNR Margin: 12.8, Attenuation: 26

At a guess the SNR margin is lower and the sync is high, I'd say 9dB margin, and 7000Kbps sync. Still very low for the attenuation, I get better on a line that is twice that length

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User inadee
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 18:25:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Statistics from D-Link DSL2780 now...
Downstream Upstream
Rate(Kbps) 6779 885
SNR Margin(dB) 8.5 15.5
Attenuation(dB) 26.1 49.0

I was informed that the best I can achieve is 8Mbps, however, I was also informed that moving to Fibre would give me 27Mbps. What should I believe and/or expect?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-12 21:33:12
Print Post

I think I see the problem now, by showing all the figures it is obvious.

There is a bug in the screen display of the D-Link, it is swapping the downstream and upstream figures around.

6779 is about right for a 49dB attenuation line, and no reason to doubt that 27 Mbps wont be possible on Fibre.

The clue is that the upstream attenuation is usually half that of the downstream attenuation.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jan-12 00:02:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well spotted!

Illustrates just how essential it is to copy full router stats verbatim, w/out massaging them into your text grin.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to