User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User number45
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 22:15:21
Print Post

Just connected, have a question about speed

[link to this post]

My speed has dropped a bit since the switch over this afternoon, just by a couple of Mb but if I can get that back I'd like to. Do I need to leave the line for a while to let it settle down. Or should I contact talktalk now and see what they can do. btw my upload speed has increased, I assume that has no effect on download speed though.

I've attached screen grabs of my router stats for my old connection and new one.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll53/number45-gfx...
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll53/number45-gfx...

Thanks

Edited by number45 (Fri 27-Jan-12 22:16:24)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 27-Jan-12 22:53:52
Print Post

Re: Just connected, have a question about speed

[re: number45] [link to this post]

Leave things alone for a few days to stabilise. Do not power off & on the modem/router, leave it on 24/7.

If you haven't done so already, I would advise that you register for the TalkTalk Members Forum.

Looking at your current statistics, I suspect that you have been started with a target SNRM of 12 dB. Assuming your line remains stable, once the initial training period is over, make a request via the above forum for the OCEs (Online Community Executives) to put you onto the 24FSNR6 profile.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Fri 27-Jan-12 22:55:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jan-12 23:26:15
Print Post

N.B. Your later router reverses the Down/Up attenuations.

You should be getting 21+ Meg @ 6 dB NM.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User number45
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 10:35:31
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice.

I noticed this morning when I got up the internet light on it was red but as soon as I'd booted up my PC it had gone green. I thought it had maybe disconnected as it's still stabalising but seeing that setting I guess maybe it disconnected cause of inactivity.

Should I change the setting Connect mode select on he router to Always-on instead of Connect on demand then. The router is a D-link DSL 2780.

Edited by number45 (Sat 28-Jan-12 10:37:44)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 23:16:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by number45:
Should I change the setting Connect mode select on he router to Always-on instead of Connect on demand then. The router is a D-link DSL 2780.
Why yes! That is a definite requirement. UK broadband is an Always-on service. Connect on demand was an economy measure from the days of dial-up.

You may have just identified the root cause of your problem. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User number45
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 10:27:00
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

That's a bit stupid IMHO. The router came from TalkTalk with my login details set up so all I had to do was plug it in. I had my own network settings to enter which is why I was poking around in the admin but someone who just plugged and played might never notice that setting and never change it and have to suffer slow broadband when it could be faster.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Jan-12 15:17:33
Print Post

It doesn't matter! A router set to "On demand" will connect as soon as you run a program requiring the Internet, like your browser, or even the background updaters. It'll just take a bit longer 1st time around.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 29-Jan-12 15:19:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-12 15:28:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

On demand when including authentication can lead to a 20-30 second delay on first IP request, but a simple DNS request is enough to trigger it.

Generally on demand has a timeout associated with it, around 20 minutes long, i.e. will stay connected until there has been no traffic for 20 minutes. To find a machine that does not have one IP packet going over the internet in that time would be pretty amazing these days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User number45
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 16:48:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But shouldn't you keep the router on to avoid speed drops due to regular disconnect/reconnect though. Which I assume will happen during the night when things are switched off.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 17:30:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by number45:
But shouldn't you keep the router on to avoid speed drops due to regular disconnect/reconnect though. Which I assume will happen during the night when things are switched off.

I turn mine off when i go to bed and if i am at work the next day leave it off until i return to the house, i see little point in leaving it on when i am not using it and although the risk something shorting and causing a fire is minimal i prefer the peace of mind knowing it is off.
I have never noticed any speed drop due to it being turned off and on occasionally but switching it off and on several times a day could cause you problems.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to