User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lost_soul_Andy
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 04:05:55
Print Post

TT & FTTC

[link to this post]

I've been with talktalk awhile now and last week I upgraded from normal bb to fttc. Problem I'm having is support. It would seem none of the technical department can help me with this small problem I am having.
I have been trying to set up a ftp server on one of my other pcs, so that I can access wherever I am, however, getting a direct IP to that pc is more difficult than I realised. The openreach installed the HG612 which plugs into the HG532. Now, I can create a static IP from the HG532 to the pc but I am struggling to sort out the connection directly from the pc to the HG612. The FTP server software is installed on the pc but will only give me a local IP address, which is pointless.
At this moment in time, I am quite lost on how to go about sorting out this problem, am I supposed to bridge the HG532 to the HG612, do I join a static IP company like dyndns, purchase another internet line, I really could do with some help please.

N.B. this is the first time I have tried to set up a FTP server. I am certainly glad I found this place purely by accident via the HG612hacking webpages, which I found totally by accident to.
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Tue 31-Jan-12 08:26:46
Print Post

Re: TT & FTTC

[re: lost_soul_Andy] [link to this post]

Here you go.
This should help.

Gary
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Tue 31-Jan-12 08:30:46
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

I'd just add to that by making sue you set a static IP for your FTP server PC to use with the port forward rule.
You can normally do this through the router.

Also consider using secure FTP which will require port 22 to be forwarded instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 31-Jan-12 09:40:04
Print Post

The only thing you need to do is create a port forward rule on the HG532. https://www.broadbandadvice.org.uk/Website/Special%2...

It would be wise to give a static IP to the PC hosting the FTP server.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-12 10:10:50
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Also you need someone outside your network to test the ftp server is visible on the current internet IP address for your connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 31-Jan-12 10:15:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://canyouseeme.org/ will help to a certain extent.
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:19:39
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

thanks g but this is my problem...I don't just have one router...my computers are linked to the hg532 router which gives for the local ip (192.168.1.1) rubbish and then the HG532 router is linked to the hg612 router which gives for the dynamic IP. What they were explaining on that page you gave me is to bypass the single router problem.
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:22:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks mr saffron but I've tried that a couple of days ago...still doesn't work because I need to negotiate the other router.
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:27:36
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Yes, Zadeks it is only the first step which I completed the other day. I'm wondering if people are starting to understand why I am getting frustrated over this. If I only have the single router....it would be a doddle and done, but I don't I have 2 inline routers. The HG612 is the FTTC router, which so happens, legally, I can't update it with the hacked software. They never loaded the HG612 with the customer friendly interface, unlike the HG532. Anyway, thats not the point I have a major issue and I would just like to solve it, before 18th December 2012...when the worlds supposed to end lol
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:29:30
Print Post

I don't have experience of FTTC but I though that the 612 was just a modem and didn't have any routing?

Doesn't the HG532 connect through PPPOE and get the public IP address?

If so then adding the port forward to the 532 should do the trick.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to