User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:25:49
Print Post

Fair Usage Policy

[link to this post]

Hi

Just waiting for my transfer from Plusnet to TalkTalk LLU to go through - one of the reasons I've moved apart from the increase in speed is that I was continually going over my 60gb download limit with plusnet ( peak time usage - I schedule all my big downloads between midnight and 8 am.

I'm a bit concerned aftere reading online that talk talks fair usage policy only let's you download 80gig a month before they can throttle you or even cut you off.

Can anyone confirm this?? And does it make any difference if your 80 gig is peak or non peak usage?

Many thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jan-12 15:35:41
Print Post

Re: Fair Usage Policy

[re: Footys] [link to this post]

There is no FUP limit on TT Plus, just TM:

Broadband Traffic Management

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-12 15:37:12
Print Post

What policy are you reading?

TalkTalk FUP http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/fup.html?utype=talktalk

TalkTalk’s policy towards Fair Usage is that customers should be able to use the service in an appropriate manner to meet their needs. A very small number of customers use an excessive amount of the network bandwidth at peak times, to the extent it can impair the performance for others. For this reason we have a fair usage policy designed to ensure your service stays fast and reliable 24 hours a day – it involves monitoring the amount customers download and managing non-time critical traffic on our network, such as Peer-to-Peer sharing. For more information please see Broadband Traffic Management.

If a customer’s usage is continually excessive, unfair, affects other users enjoyment of our broadband service, or is not consistent with the usage we would typically expect on that customers current package, we reserve the right to upgrade customers to a package more suited for their usage. In extreme cases we may suspend or terminate the customers ability to access TalkTalk’s broadband service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 15:47:56
Print Post

You could actually pay for what you are using. Either that or curb your freeloading and live within the limits.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 17:02:00
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

What a strange reply ? I'm asking a question about a product I am moving to that advertises unlimited usage allowance so why tell me to pay what I use for?

I am quite happy to live within limits - I'm seeking clarification as to what those limits are.

Anyway thanks a bunch for your helpful reply
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 17:12:55
Print Post

I am quite happy to live within limits - I'm seeking clarification as to what those limits are

Clearly not or you wouldn't be moving from an advertised and solid figure to one that provides at best ambiguity.

A lot of people expect everything for nothing these days. You seem to be one of them.

BeUnlimited
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 17:19:50
Print Post

Anyway thanks a bunch for your helpful reply

If You are looking to download the internet then mention it in your post instead of making it look like you are being hard done by. 60 GB and an unlimited off peak allowance is more than fair. The way you put it is that plusnet are punishing you for your unreasonable expectations. Plusnet aren't at fault here, your greed is.

BeUnlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-12 17:31:18
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

I suggest you temper the attitude

Imagine a household with 2 or 3 people using laptops, and Netflix on the Xbox too and 60GB can vanish quickly, over the course of a month.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 18:07:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just to clarify I have always been more than happy with plusnet and my 60gb allowance - and with the unlimted overnight allowance it has been a cracking service for me.

However I have recently started using both the netflix and lovefilm apps on my Xbox as well as the Sky Player and my wife uses them on her Ipad and for the last two months my peak usage has started to creep over my allowance and therefore I have decided to look to somewhere that has more generous limits.

I think your replies are both presumptuous and unfair and its people like you that put people off from asking advice on forums like these.
Standard User cyclopops
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:02:05
Print Post

i moved away from plusnet for much the same, most of my usage that took me over was my kids using youtube, and the wife watching itv catchup, 4Od, and iplayer etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to