User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TalkTalk1969
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-12 12:47:59
Print Post

Talk Talk - Spiders Stalk Your Every Movement On The Web

[link to this post]

I signed up to Talk Talk internet a few months back, used to be with Zen Internet but the lure of a cheap LLU service got me interested in Talk Talk, now when i signed up to them i switched off all parental controls and did not opt in to anti virus or anything else that Talk Talk offers, so today i am very surprised to see a spider stalking me over the internet, i noticed it while looking at my website and live help feature, i did a WhoIs lookup and see its labelled as a Talk Talk parental guidance spider, yet i am not opted in to this service.

This raises major concerns about privacy and what they are doing by following me all over the internet, they claim its used to detect malware on websites, it could equally be used for marketing purposes and targeted advertising and even censorship of the web.

I am not very happy about this but i am in a contract with them now, why no opt out to being followed around the web, i have nothing to hide, i occasionally visit sites which are not kid friendly but are perfectly legal but still its nothing to hide, hence mentioning it, the point is that i am uneasy about Talk Talk using a system that was developed in China ( where web censorship is on the agenda ) and a system which i cannot opt out of, i have real concerns about this.

I am still reading up on the subject matter and may post again but i'm not happy about my internet provider using a spider to view any site i visit, i have concerns they can abuse this, there has to be another motive for them doing this and its not about malware as i am not opted in to that system and have my own security on my PC.
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:21:07
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk - Spiders Stalk Your Every Movement On The Web

[re: TalkTalk1969] [link to this post]

https://www.the-phoenix-broadband-advice-community.c...

for further reading.

I do think malware is the reason, but the implementation and attitude has been pretty bad throughout.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:22:27
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Maybe, but i would still like an opt out as i believe it could be implemented for advertising or censorship purposes and it just feels a little creepy to me.

Edited by TalkTalk1969 (Wed 01-Feb-12 14:22:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 18:00:06
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4326.html has been in place for some time now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 19:07:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4326.html has been in place for some time now.

I know, but i haven't been with Talk Talk long and wasn't aware of it until today.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Feb-12 22:11:27
Print Post

so much for being opt in then. another reason to stay clear of Talk Talk

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 18:14:27
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
so much for being opt in then. another reason to stay clear of Talk Talk

As was said in another forum on this subject -

if you don't believe that you are being "stalked" all over the internet and beyond already, you are naive in the extreme.

Part of quote Mr Saffron posted -

The system came to light after users on TalkTalk's forums saw that they appeared to be stalked by two TalkTalk/Opal IP's. As people browse the web, TalkTalk's system collects the URL's and these are recorded and checked against a list of blacklisted sites known to carry malware and also a list of whitelisted sites that have been scanned and approved in the last 24hours. If the site doesn't appear on either list, the user is followed to the site and the page is scanned for malware.

Users may be concerned that this sounds similar to Phorm which some ISPs such as BT tested previously, however this system does not monitor or record who looks at what sites.

The last line sums it up, Is anyone really that bothered about this?

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Thu 02-Feb-12 18:16:06)

Standard User Myth
(member) Fri 03-Feb-12 14:30:17
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

at the time of inception, the "bot" wasnt identifying itself as a spyderbot, and it was spoofing identities (bad programming rather than malicious intent we hope) which was a security concern or in some cases was breaking website functionality for certain TT customers (some websites are designed to foil identity spoofing).

Looks like they have fixed the bot reporting part, I can only assume they fixed the other part too as I've not seen any Hatari posts recently

plus we only had TTs word for it that they weren't recording which user was accessing the URL, and they only had huawei's (sp?) word for it that they werent recording the info either.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!

Edited by Myth (Fri 03-Feb-12 14:32:39)

Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Feb-12 14:31:10
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Does the bot have a name and IP address?

ETEE

16448kbps/1017kbps Best Speed 13820kbps cool ThinkBroadband SpeedTester

Worst Speed 211kbps confused shocked TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Feb-12 18:19:16
Print Post

[re: ETEE] [link to this post]

Pretty big bot if it can handle the millions of TalkTalk customers on just one IP address. More like a number of routers, that report via an internal admin link to a database that aggregates the data.

In that case easy to verify the not storing PID, since none of it makes it to the database.

Most providers have the ability to look at traffic flowing across switches, difference with this is that its not just used for debugging, and does some DPI rather than just source/dest IP address to get the URL from HTTP packets.

How do we know its a Huawei box? Could be any number of manufacturers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to