User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:15:26
Print Post

TalkTalk connection no longer requiring username/password?

[link to this post]

Hi
This wasn't the case before, but when i do a factory-settings reset (hard) on my Billion 7800N router, it automatically connects to my talktalk ADSL2+ service. Thinking something was wrong with my router, i called up Billion support and he said TalkTalk no longer require user authentication. Is this true? A short while ago i changed my broadband password online and again my router connects without me entering any username/password in the router.
Cheers smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 23:52:20
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk connection no longer requiring username/passwor

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

That explains why a friend sky router still works with Talk Talk without any changes, just as well really since TT still have not sent them a router after 3 weeks.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Deputy_Dog
(learned) Sat 28-Apr-12 23:43:43
Print Post

When you think about it is there really a need for a username/password? Bearing in mind that the telephone line goes directly into your home, who else is going to connect a router to it? It then does away with the problem of all those computer illiterates that lose their details all the time and the need for a database check for password and username.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 01:02:34
Print Post

[re: Deputy_Dog] [link to this post]

Conceivably, a connection could be made via your pair at any cab between you and the exchange..
Standard User Hemel_Pike
(newbie) Sun 13-May-12 17:36:21
Print Post

That explains my recent experience. I was on holiday when my connection was transferred from Virgin to TT on 5th April. When I got home a few days later my old Voyager router with Virgin login and password was happily connected to TT. I also arranged a transfer for my aunt and uncle (Virgin has just increased its prices) and couldn't get to them until a few days after their changeover. Their old USB modem was still connected and the connection was up with TT.
Standard User HTTP404
(newbie) Sun 13-May-12 17:57:37
Print Post

Seen on the TT forums ....................

TT are moving their LLU based BB users to Network Authentication. You are identified by your line, so any router, or any user/password will work.

Not sure if this convertion is 100% complete but this certainly seems to apply to the majority of users.

If you are a TT IPStream customer you still need user/password authentication.
Standard User Myth
(member) Thu 17-May-12 04:26:22
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Conceivably, a connection could be made via your pair at any cab between you and the exchange..

I guess this opens up another way of your broadband being used without your permission, I wonder if this would hold up in court. Interesting as TT are reportedly quite for anonymous internet use, maybe it is done on purpose due to new laws coming into effect etc

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
  Print Thread

Jump to