User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rogershead
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 10:58:30
Print Post

Connecting an internet TV

[link to this post]

Does anybody have difficulty in connecting an internet TV to router in order to use BBC I Player or Youtube.

The TV is less than a year old and has passed a phone health check by the manufacturers.

I have contacted TalkTalk who suggest testing all my telephony equipment to trace the fault.

I Player and Youtube work perfectly on my PC - same phone line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-May-12 21:08:09
Print Post

Re: Connecting an internet TV

[re: rogershead] [link to this post]

Phone health check?

You normally connect it to the ethernet network of your broadband service, or via wireless. What make and model of TV, so maybe people can understand the problem.

How are you attempting to connect it to the broadband service?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rogershead
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 21:34:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The TV is a Panasonic TX-42S30B purchased in June 2011. It is connected to a Netgear router via a 10m ethernet cable. At first the internet service worked perfectly, but after an automatic download of update 1.218 it only connects about 5% of the time.

The phone healthcheck was a call to Panasonic helpline lasting some 20 minutes and their opinion was the TV was 100% OK and the router needed updating which I have done, but still no improvement in the connection percentage.

I have been told that Talktalk in common with other ISP's use throttling to restrict downloads and this could be be the source of my problem.

All opinions would be welcome.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-May-12 21:50:52
Print Post

The traffiic management TalkTalk use on their LLU network (Plus and essentials products) should not affect TV stuff like iPlayer and netflix. Additionally the actuial main menu pages for a service like iPlayer are very small and should quickly.

General rule is to believe that the last thing changed before it stopped working is the primary cause.

What speeds do you get from your talktalk connection normally?

Looking at maniual, do you have Acquire IP address and Acquire DNS address set to auto? What happens when you do the Connection Test?

The Veira server may be the issue, others reported problems in January, that have continued for some for a while.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rogershead
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 08:33:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The last thing to change was the Panasonic update circa October 2011. Before then the internet connection was working fine. I agree with you that this is the likely cause and I will have to wait for the next update which hopefully will fix the problem. Thanks for your interest.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 13:13:55
Print Post

I seem to remember something about the Viera's having iPlayer and/or other services pulled. IIRC, it's to do with licencing agreements between Panasonic and media providers.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 17-May-12 00:25:59
Print Post

This thread on the TTMF might be relevant.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php...
  Print Thread

Jump to