User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IanMo
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-12 14:20:36
Print Post

Lineone support from TT for previous customers?

[link to this post]

Hi

First some background ...

I'm an ex-Tiscali customer who jumped ship when TalkTalk (TT) took over in 2009. But I kept my legacy lineone.net email address which I've used as my main contact email for many years, since the very start of lineone. There must be lots of us in this situation.

I decided I would like to change my lineone email password, but all the TT help points to the My Account area, which is only available to TT customers with a TT/Tiscali account/phone number/email address.

I contacted the mods on the Tiscali forum (which was still available to me) to ask how I could do this. They were very sympathetic but could not help. They could only pass the request on to some other team, with no prospect of success.

Now, to make matters worse, the Tiscali forums have been shut down and all 'support' transferred to the TT Members forums which, of course, are only available to TT customers with a TT account/phone number etc etc.

I've tried emailing the TT online guys but their reply is the same. It seems to me that TT are still providing a lineone service but no longer willing to provide support for it. Maybe they're looking to to close lineone down completely? Or it could just be that they're unwilling to support anyone they're not getting revenue from.

So, can I ask if anyone here has found a way of getting support for lineone issues. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jun-12 00:17:21
Print Post

Re: Lineone support from TT for previous customers?

[re: IanMo] [link to this post]

Think you no longer can frown

You can get to your Webmail here: http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/ but only can change its pwd under My Account. It used to be that it led you to a diff My Account depending on whether you were TT or Tiscali or others, which it remembered by cookies. But now the My Account I see won't accept the same User ID/pwd that WebMail does.

It also used to be that when you 1st came to the TT site, it asked if you were new to TT or already a customer. If it already a customer, it asked you of what part of TT. If you said "Tiscali", say, it tailored your cookies accordingly and led you to the correct MY Account & WebMail. But I can no longer find that script even when I clear cookies. Anyone know where that is? It looks like they have merged everything.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User IanMo
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 16:13:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks, XRaySpeX, for your info re cookies etc.

I reckon there was an option to change passwords under 'settings' in webmail, but that seems to have gone too.

I can see why TT may want to merge everything into My Account, but they really should have thought it through properly. Not the first time they've been accused of that.

Perhaps they want us to rejoin TT as the only way of amending our accounts. No much chance of that!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jun-12 03:55:01
Print Post

As I remember it, the pwd was not only for Webmail but also for your Net connection when you had it. So it's setting was not under Webmail but under the more encompassing My Account.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User IanMo
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 16:00:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, spot on, I stand corrected. It's all coming back to me now!

Anyway, I don't think its likely that there's an easy answer to this. I'm sure TT aren't going to change anything any time soon.

I'm already starting to shift any references and website logins away from my lineone email, with a view to ditching it altogether.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jun-12 19:57:22
Print Post

I have a LineOne email account and could really do with changing my password, so I will try when I get a chance and feedback

I pay for the additional stuff, so may be able to find a different contact somewhere as well

Be* Unlimited
Standard User IanMo
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 13:58:46
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Just an update. I've had a series of emails to/from Talk Talk about their (lack of) support for lineone users. It makes interesting reading if you're a lineone user but no longer have a relationship with TT. I've quoted the main Talk Talk response below:

" I understand that you want to change the password of your Lineone email. Please note that the only way to change your email password is through My Account. You mentioned that you do not have an account with us, hence, your email is considered orphaned. When an account is disconnected, the email address becomes orphaned. As such, I recommend you to use another email address to replace the lineone email that you currently have.

Furthermore, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, we observe the following guidelines:

- Orphaned email addresses must never be removed from the original account and added to another account.
- Do not reset passwords for orphaned accounts.
- Never delete an orphaned email address.
- Orphaned email addresses should never be added to another account, even when the owner of the original e-mail address is deceased. "

End of quote.

This could have serious implications if you suspect your lineone.net account has been hacked. Your first action would normally be to reset the account password. Based on this latest information from TT, not only is it impossible for the user to reset the password themselves, but TT say they are not able to reset it either because, they say, they do not have access to these 'orphaned' accounts. Clearly, from a technical point of view, they do have access because the data is on their own servers, but they are quoting the DPA as their reason for not being able to offer support. I've pressed them on this, but they won't budge, just replying with a load of customer service gobbledegook about 'valued customers'.

This problem is obviously not going to get resolved, so I guess I'll continue moving stuff off my lineone email onto a more secure, properly supported, email service.

Hope, at least, that this info has helped others in a similar position.
Standard User MrOptimistic
(member) Sun 01-Jul-12 15:57:16
Print Post

As I have posted on the Which Isp tread I am exiting TT having also ended up there from Lineone days. I couldnt access my account either but that pales next to the £25pcm charge!
Standard User Davey1000
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 02:21:19
Print Post

[re: MrOptimistic] [link to this post]

TT are doing some work right now (10/01/2016) My inbound lineone.net emails still work but outbound is no use as they seem to have retired the SMTP.lineone.net Server. Allegedly TT have been taken over by AOL so expect more "churn"
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jan-16 03:16:48
Print Post

[re: Davey1000] [link to this post]

I doubt the whole of your post.

I just sent OK using the Tiscali SMTP, smtp.tiscali.co.uk. Then for the hell of it I just switched the SMTP to your LineOne 1, smtp.lineone.net . That worked too smile. In all likelihood they are aliases for the same server, the TT SMTP.

TT took over AOL BB, but not AOL email, years ago. AOL Inc. still operates in USA but has no interest in UK.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to