User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 12:25:11
Print Post

Re: Broadband problem: packet loss

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Well, in that case it's nothing to do with your wiring (assuming you've tried a different microfilter, ethernet cable and modem cable).

Thanks, Oliver. That is exactly what I thought. Hence I requested to talk to the manager.

Maybe this is all a misunderstanding, and the Indian TT CS guy thought I am still using the external master socket?!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 13:03:23
Print Post

[re: robby74] [link to this post]

Ok, so you have ruled out any internal wiring problems your side of the master socket, by using the test socket,
Do you have another router that you could use for testing , just so your current router, & it's power supply can be ruled out too ?
Also if you have them a different adsl cable (router to adsl filter ) and a new adsl filter, again for testing,
If the issue still persists then you have exhausted all the possible causes your end,
If known, can you ping the exchange equipment when no internet access, exchange equipment is the 1st hop after your router, to try and see where the packet loss is occuring,

If between your master socket and exchange it's BT openreach's responsibility to find and fix any faults, if after exchange to your isp's data center it's down to the isp, As for the remote tests that they have carried out , they are pretty much useless in a lot of situations, Looking at your line stats, it looks as if they have increased the downstream Target noise margin or their DLM has done it, this is giving you are really poor sync speed on the downstream , and obviously doing didly squat else , typical of that automated DLM or outsourced overseas support staff in a lame attempt to try and hide the problem

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 24-Jul-12 13:08:32)

Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 13:13:53
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Do you have another router that you could use for testing , just so your current router, & it's power supply can be ruled out too ?
Also if you have them a different adsl cable (router to adsl filter ) and a new adsl filter, again for testing,

Unfortunately, I have no additional router or adsl filters. However, the router appears to behave very sensibly.
If known, can you ping the exchange equipment when no internet access, exchange equipment is the 1st hop after your router, to try and see where the packet loss is occuring,

Good idea. I should be able to find the IP address of the first hop with a traceroute (I am using Linux). Will do this when I am at home tonight.
If between your master socket and exchange it's BT openreach's responsibility to find and fix any faults, if after exchange to your isp's data center it's down to the isp,

Thanks for the info, very useful.

Would you know if the engineer that TT CS have booked for me to come around on Thursday would be from BT openreach? I am not quite sure what the guy will be able to do, and if the £50 are possibly wasted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 13:37:59
Print Post

If the fault is found to be exchange side of NTE5 test socket by the Open Reach engineer then you will not be charged £50.

Actually I'm surprised TalkTalk didn't send you a replacement router, ethernet cable, adsl cable and filter for free, which at one time they seemed to do quite readily if a broadband fault was reported...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:01:24
Print Post

Most likely will be a BT openreach engineer, unless they are going to send one of their own so called boost engineers, who basically just do what you have done already and shouldn't be confused with BT openreach engineers, the possible £50 fee sounds suspect as openreach charge £130 + normally
They may bring a router with them , but that all the boost engineer can do check anything your side of the master socket
Did you not get a router from talktalk when you joined them ? If this packet loss is between your router and exchange, then i would certainly be trying another router adsl cable and filter , as although the router may appear to be working normally it could of developed a problem, can you not borrow a router for a short time ?

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 24-Jul-12 14:05:21)

Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:03:34
Print Post

I have asked my wife to check this for me. So the first hop is 78.146.64.1 and pinging this IP address from our router already gives packet loss.

So assuming everything within my property is working fine, this would indicate a problem between my house and the exchange. Correct?
Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:13:06
Print Post

Did you not get a router from talktalk when you joined them ? If this packet loss is between your router and exchange, then i would certainly be trying another router adsl cable and filter , as although the router may appear to be working normally it could of developed a problem, can you not borrow a router for a short time ?

I joined TalkTalk right at the beginning, before they even offered broadband. So when they started broadband, I only got a USB modem, which never worked. Hence I bought the Netgear router. I still have this modem lying around somewhere, so I could give that a try.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:16:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by robby74:

I have asked my wife to check this for me. So the first hop is 78.146.64.1 and pinging this IP address from our router already gives packet loss.

So assuming everything within my property is working fine, this would indicate a problem between my house and the exchange. Correct?
Without at least trying another router /adsl cable and new filter, you are not able to confirm this, hence why i suggested using another router such as the one supplied by talktalk assuming they sent you one, if they problem is still the same then it's unlikely your equipment as you are able to demonstrate this

Packet loss can be caused by lots of different things , EMI from various devices such as plasma tv's fluorescent lighting ballasts poorly routed cheap cabling running too close in parallel with mains cables the list goes on , But finding the source can sometimes be only part of the battle to get it fixed , should the source of the problem not be in your home

Just seen your newer post, in that case you should be able to get one from talktalk F.O.C as they should of given you one ,as there LLU is ADSL2+ so that modem which i would guess is something like the speed touch st330 ,(suitable for upto 8mb) although it would probably work it may not work well, i would request that they send up a router as they didn't do when they should of done , try requesting this via the tt user forum, maybe get a quicker result

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 24-Jul-12 14:23:19)

Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:25:27
Print Post

@tommy45

Thanks again for all the info. I am in contact with a TT rep via their TT members forum, who has offered to send out an alternative router. I hope the router will arrive soon so that I can take the next steps.

My parents will be coming over for the Olympics this w/e. And not having internet at home was not part of the plan!!!
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:01:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by robby74:
...I am in contact with a TT rep via their TT members forum, who has offered to send out an alternative router. I hope the router will arrive soon so that I can take the next steps.

Be sure to specify a 4 ethernet port router if needed - my cousin was sent a replacement router last year and it was only a single ethernet port router, although it did have wireless. If you are only using it for testing then, I guess, that would not be an issue...

Edit: my cousin did try his old TalkTalk supplied usb modem that he previously used with adsl1 but it wasn't must use for adsl2+ (full LLU)

Edited by 4M2 (Tue 24-Jul-12 15:24:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to