User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OpenAccess
(regular) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:20:20
Print Post

Re: Broadband problem: packet loss

[re: robby74] [link to this post]

How many telephone sockets are there in the house?
If there are extra sockets is there wiring on the part of the master socket that you removed to access the "Test Socket"?
Also are all other sockets dead when the you are using the "Test Socket" Not all installers do a good job, and sometimes the wiring does not confirm to good practice.

Peter
-------------------------------------------------------
Be* Unlimited
-----------------------------------------------------
My BQM

Edited by OpenAccess (Tue 24-Jul-12 15:23:22)

Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:35:40
Print Post

[re: OpenAccess] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by OpenAccess:
How many telephone sockets are there in the house?
If there are extra sockets is there wiring on the part of the master socket that you removed to access the "Test Socket"?

There are two sockets. I did not remove any wiring, only took the master socket "male plug" out of the test socket, and put the adsl filter into the test socket.
Also are all other sockets dead when the you are using the "Test Socket" Not all installers do a good job, and sometimes the wiring does not confirm to good practice.

I have never tested that, but I would assume the other sockets are dead. I can confirm this tonight.

However, please note that all has been working fine for years and years. I think it is highly unlikely that my internal wiring has suddenly gone dodgy.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:39:13
Print Post

[re: OpenAccess] [link to this post]

That's a very good suggestion if one is unaware of how exactly the back of the NTE5, and hence the test socket, has been wired smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:23:33
Print Post

However, please note that all has been working fine for years and years. I think it is highly unlikely that my internal wiring has suddenly gone dodgy.

But that applies to the telephone line, DSLAM etc as well!

Unlike previous suggestions I wouldnt expect packet loss to be caused by line problems etc - I would seriously worry about the Router and after that the exchange equipment.

If TT have arranged for an OR visit I don't thing they are going to find anything wrong which will generate a charge (to TT) which they may try to recover from you!

Have they warned about the possibility of being charged?

EDIT: Read the thread starter and TT have mentioned a charge of £50 blush . This is less than OpenReach would charge though.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Edited by greenglide (Tue 24-Jul-12 16:28:14)

Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:31:18
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Unlike previous suggestions I wouldnt expect packet loss to be caused by line problems etc - I would seriously worry about the Router and after that the exchange equipment.

My gut feeling is that someone messed up something at the exchange on Sunday. Or that something happened to the line leading from my property to the exchange. But I may be proved wrong.
In reply to a post by greenglide:
Have they warned about the possibility of being charged?

They mentioned a charge of £50, which other people here have suggested could mean a TT engineer, rather than an OR one.
Standard User locutus
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:38:00
Print Post

Have you tried pinging your default gateway (the router) just to make sure it's not your end?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User robby74
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:46:02
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by locutus:
Have you tried pinging your default gateway (the router) just to make sure it's not your end?

No, I have not. Will do so tonight, when I am at home. (NOTE: I won't be able to reply to all your helpful messages until tomorrow morning, when I will be back at work.)

However, I can obviously access the router via its http interface, looking at the connection stats, logs etc. So I doubt the problem is pinging the router. But again, I may be proved wrong.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Wed 25-Jul-12 09:09:46
Print Post

i would run 4 concurrent ping tests:

ping [router ip address] -t

ping [your ip address] -t

ping [first hop] -t

ping www.bbc.net -t

make 4 tall windows with the bottoms in line and just see if the packet loss is consistent across all windows, or just bbc and 1st hop etc

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Wed 25-Jul-12 10:08:59
Print Post

Hi Robby,

If you are managing this issue via the TT Members Forum I would advise updating your thread there with any changes and testing you have conducted, just to ensure the OCE's are aware of this
Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User robby74
(learned) Wed 25-Jul-12 10:15:40
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
If you are managing this issue via the TT Members Forum I would advise updating your thread there with any changes and testing you have conducted, just to ensure the OCE's are aware of this

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I have. I am in contact there with an OCE_mark. That is not you, by any chance?

The thread over there is: Thread 853186
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to