User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fatgit
(regular) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:02:52
Print Post

Charity in business premises & Home phone+Broadband?

[link to this post]

Hi all.
I help run a small charity and I'd say we are on a shoestring budget if we could actually afford a shoestring!

Anyway, we've recently moved into a business unit in a building that's mixed light industry and offices, and we do youth groups, online training etc and need a broadband package with a new line for as little as possible. With Quidco, we can get the Essentials for an equivalent of just under £9 a month, if we pay for the year in advance.

Does anyone know if TalkTalk would do a home install to business premises, or would we have to go for the more expensive business one ?
We don't require a business SLA or anything, as we aren't heavy users (just a bit too much to use 3G cost effectively).

Cheers
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Fri 27-Jul-12 12:09:35
Print Post

Re: Charity in business premises & Home phone+Broadband?

[re: fatgit] [link to this post]

Hi,

Using TT Residential For Business use would not be in line with the Terms and Conditions therfore invalidating any laims for losses etc.

In regards the business service you would be able to claim the VAT back on this so the price is comparible to the residential when this is taken into consideration

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User fatgit
(regular) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:01:28
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I'm not certain we can claim the VAT back, as we're not registered for VAT (although we are registered with HMRC as a charity for tax purposes), but I will certainly look into it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:15:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
In regards the business service you would be able to claim the VAT back on this
Only if turnover large enough to be VAT registered. A small charity could well be not!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Myth
(committed) Sat 28-Jul-12 09:29:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
In regards the business service you would be able to claim the VAT back on this
Only if turnover large enough to be VAT registered. A small charity could well be not!

not exactly true. Once turnover is over a certain limit you HAVE to register for VAT, while turnover is less than this government set figure you have the option to choose.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Mon 30-Jul-12 11:43:36
Print Post

[re: fatgit] [link to this post]

Hi Fatgit,

No problem, happy to help. As advised if the phone line and BB is essential to the operations fo the charity a residential line wouldnt be suitable, this would not provide support for any losses incurred or prioritised fault resolution as found with a business service.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jul-12 16:18:24
Print Post

But if it is not essential, than a residential line will be OK?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Jul-12 23:26:05
Print Post

I have yet to see a charity where a data connection is not essential to the day to day running , even the smallest of charity's .

TalkTalk is cheap for a very good reason and what might seem like a easy cost cut could come back and bite very hard , as fault resolution times are not very impressive and don't even get me started on telephone support .

There are much better options , what there is not , is a cheaper option and that coming from a long time TalkTalk user that never had any kind of problem in many years .

That's my opinion any way , i would never connect my business through a residential service and i run it from home . (admittedly i would connect my business through my TalkTalk connection if my business line failed but that has always been the plan )
Standard User leexgx
(member) Tue 31-Jul-12 03:41:45
Print Post

as long as they enable it, as the building is an business unit or estate so they mite want you to forward you to talktalk business

if line uptime important then do it (i did it my self with BE at an unit my self, if you could call 1mb broadband that is still it was faster then 2G mobile data) the business line and broadband is only needed if your business depends on it and you like paying £20-£50 month more to make sure its fixed in less then 24hrs (instead of 2-4 days)

you get warned off from some users on here stating the T&C does not mean you can not do it

Edited by leexgx (Tue 31-Jul-12 04:35:07)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 04:11:19
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Pardon? You talking to me?

Enable what? What list?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to