User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:14:50
Print Post

Talk Talk

[link to this post]

TT are now in my area.. and im wondering if they do a buy out thing as we have not long re-newed out contract with BT frown

Would love to switch to get 24mb from them as 8mb in this house with 4 people is not ideal

BT 8MB
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:41:30
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

No i don't think TalkTalk (or any isp for that matter) will buy out your existing BT contract. However TalkTalk would probably offer you half price essentials or plus package for 12 months so any saving you make there could be used towards the costs of ending your contract early with BT. I remember back in August 2010 i paid BT 12 months up front line rental...1 month later TalkTalk LLU'd my exchange. So lost £100+ with BT when moving to TalkTalk ADSL2+ but sooooo glad i am away from a BT (spit) based ADSL1 service smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 12:43:21)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 13:16:46
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

£142 to cancel with BT so not bad at all really.

Took the plunge... and ordered with TT

Essentials with Unlimited BB up to 24mb but estimated we will get 17.1 but im sure we will get the full 24 as the line is very short

How long does it take TT to connect a new customer? Im switching from BT. I know they say up to 15 days but I hope to get connected before then.

No MAC code needed witch was news to me!

BT 8MB

Edited by Seansmit17 (Wed 01-Aug-12 13:41:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 14:49:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
No i don't think TalkTalk (or any isp for that matter) will buy out your existing BT contract

Orange did offer to buy out several months of my BT line rental when I spoke to sales a few weeks ago. That would have been for a 21CN WBC broadband and line rental deal, however I 'm currently not contacted to BT nor another ISP for broadband.

I didn't accept the deal because I'm not in their "network area" but it is possible that if I was contracted to an ISP for broadband then something could have been negotiated...
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:17:12
Print Post

Yes it takes around 2 weeks to switch to talktalk, this is normal. Also no MAC required but in my case when I told Goscomb I was leaving them to join Talktalk they generated a MAC anyway which I never ended up using.

Also try using an Infineon chip router as that is most likely to give you the highest sync speeds....talktalk use Infineon equipment at the exchange. Netgear dgn1000, dgn3500, draytek 120, 2820, 2830 etc are some of the routers with an Infineon chipset.

Welcome to the UK's most hated ISP grin

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:18:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I stand corrected smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:54:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I stand corrected smile

Not really because it was the remaining BT line rental contract costs that would have been covered by Orange if I had left BT - the exact details of how it was worked out I can not recall: something like a fixed or "up to" sum of money, as an incentive, that would have covered the remaining months of my particular BT line rental contract - and breaking a BT broadband contract was not relevant in my case smile

However if I was in their "network area" (and I'm an occasional user of an Orange PAYG mobile phone) then the 21CN WBC unlimited broadband and line rental deal would have been very attractive, e.g. £5 + £13.50 line rental with off-peak calls.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 01-Aug-12 17:08:29)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 17:48:11
Print Post

Thanks lol.

Well, im coming from BT.. cant get any worse! Can it? tongue

I have this feeling TT are going to limit my connected speed to 17mb tho but we shall see.

Got an connection date of the 15th .. 14 days from now. Why cant it be sooner dam it lol

BT 8MB
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:07:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seansmit17:
I have this feeling TT are going to limit my connected speed to 17mb tho but we shall see.

Stop worrying mate, TalkTalk are very conservative when it comes to speed estimates. They told me i could 'only' get 9 meg yet i'm currently getting 18 meg...and this is on a attenuation of 29db grin What's your current downstream attenuation?

As soon as you go live, register on the forums for support. If your line is capable of the full 24 meg sync and you don't get that at the start, then request to change your downstream SNR to 6db - Talktalk's default is 12db.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 18:10:30)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:12:09
Print Post

Currently its 11.5 but it moves around from 11 to 13 depending on the time of day.

SNR is 15.7

Lucky for me im close to the exchange. Its like a 3 min walk away smile

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to