User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colin1951uk
(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:30:10
Print Post

Gone Live Today - Router Keeps Disconnecting

[link to this post]

Just looking for some advice please.

I've been live with TT since around 11:00am but both TT'S router and my own Billion disconnects/reconnects at random intervals.

Is this part of the dlm procedure or have I got a connection problem?

Some initial stats:-

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 11.6 12.0 db
Line Attenuation : 19.0 11.1 db
Data Rate : 15424 917 kbps
Max Rate : 17468 912 kbps

I've tried registering on TT User Forums but as yet can't get my account recognized so thought I'd try here for a bit of guidance.

Thanks...Colin
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:48:02
Print Post

Re: Gone Live Today - Router Keeps Disconnecting

[re: colin1951uk] [link to this post]

What happens when you plug your router into the test socket? If the disconnections stop, then you have a problem with your internal wiring and/or filters. If the disconnections continue, then give it a day or two as the qube engineer may be faffing around at the exchange ...on the day i went live i did suffer from a few disconnections but then it was ok from the second day. Also once you get access to TT forums, ask to be put on a 6db profile, 15 meg sync on a 19db atten is waaaaaaay too low!

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 20:51:39)

(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 23:24:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for coming back baby_frogmella.

Well previously I had a 2 megabyte connection (admittedly slow by current standards) on BT Wholesale for something like ten years and that never disconnected ever as far as I can remember. As soon a I switch to a TT line I get trouble so I don't think it's my end.

I'll try the router(s) in the socket but I'd be very surprised if I had a wiring problem, I'm sure it would have shown itself before.

6db?...that sounds like permanent disconnection land lol...but I'll bear it in mind.

Any idea how long it takes for your account to be recognized by TT Forums?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 00:00:39
Print Post

Welll after you connect your router to the test socket that will tell you whether the fault is inside your house or not.

Normally takes no more than 2-3 days to get forum account activated.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 01:58:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by colin1951uk:
Thanks for coming back baby_frogmella.

Well previously I had a 2 megabyte connection (admittedly slow by current standards) on BT Wholesale for something like ten years and that never disconnected ever as far as I can remember. As soon a I switch to a TT line I get trouble so I don't think it's my end.

I'll try the router(s) in the socket but I'd be very surprised if I had a wiring problem, I'm sure it would have shown itself before.

6db?...that sounds like permanent disconnection land lol...but I'll bear it in mind.

Any idea how long it takes for your account to be recognized by TT Forums?

Basic explanation here.
SNR is noise margin. This measures how strong the internet signal is (layman terms).

A high noise margin = strong internet connection. A line will drop when the noise margin goes low, so if the noise margin drops to say 1db the broadband may drop. This is because the internet signal is too weak at 1db (again layman terms)

PROBLEM.

A high noise margin = strong internet connection & can deal with lots of interference.
HOWEVER the faster the internet connection goes, the LOWER the noise margin goes. (basic explanation - & works in this context)

On your old 2Mbps connection the noise margin would have been ALOT higher than it is with TT... A higher noise margin means the line could deal with LOTS more noise before disconnecting...

To get you quicker speeds on TT that noise margin has to be reduced.

MOST lines are stable with a 6db noise margin. This gives around 5db of noise before there's any massive problems

However on poor setups the noise can be erratic and can jump 10 / 20 db randomly.

Currently your noise margin is 12db, this is not great but is TTs default I think. HOWEVER something might be pumping out interference down your line. This may create noise...

On your old 2Mbps connection your noise margin may have been 20db. When this appliance pumped it's say 15db of interference down the line, the noise margin went to 5db but the connection held on.

On the new TT connection, with a lower Noise margin of 12db. When this interferes, 12db - 15db = -3db. This is not possible. The line drops out. Disconnection.

This is why the problem can very easily be at your end. You are comparing a 2Mbps connection to a new quicker connection which isn't a great comparison.

So best bet is to get in that TEST socket. If it goes away you know something in your house is blasting out interference which is causing the drop outs.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 02-Aug-12 02:23:08)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 02:17:42
Print Post

Re: Gone Live Today - Router Keeps Disconnecting *DELETED*

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 02-Aug-12 02:18:38)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 02:22:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Cheers post has been adjusted to make sense.

I had a conversation about Post office open in a different tab and got the two confused!

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 02-Aug-12 02:22:41)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 02:44:15
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I imagined as much grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(regular) Thu 02-Aug-12 12:08:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the detailed info ukhardy07.

My previous SNR Margin was: 35.5db Down + 29.0 db Up so you're right very high.

But I'm still dubious as I'm getting on in years and I don't have any of those modern gizmos that might cause serious electrical spikes...in any case any electricals I do have are well away from the phone wiring and shouldn't come into play.

What I did notice this morning was noticeable static on the phone line when I made a call for the first time since having the TT line. That static wasn't there in the past which makes me think there might be a small fault with the line since switching. Whether it could be affecting my bb I'm not sure but I'll ask for a line check to be done just in case that's the culprit.

Having said that the good news is I've deliberately been streaming Nasa tv now for nearly two hours and the line hasn't disconnected. Before it was dropping every twenty minutes or so it's a vast improvement.

Latest stats look a little different to:-

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 14.3 14.9 db
Line Attenuation : 19.0 11.1 db
Data Rate : 13597 816 kbps
Max Rate : 15436 796 kbps

SNRs gone up a fair bit which would look to be why the line is stabling out now. Data rate has dropped accordingly which is no surprise. So it looks as though the dlm is doing it's job.

I'd be happy with those figures if it holds as its much better than I had before.

However if I can get rid of that static I might be able to a bit better.

I still can't sign up to the TT forums so I might have to give em a ring later to try for the line check...altho I'm dreading phone support from what I've read about TT cs. But I want it sorted so I'll just have to gag my mouth!

Steady as we go.
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 02:00:24
Print Post

yes seems the dsl doing it's job finding stable connection
if you have no disconnections ask TT at their forums(they are good there) to lock the SNR at 15db, so it will not go lower in future,seems this is the best for your line

Go at TT forums and sign up and try edit your profile
If not let you then when you submit your new informations, should give you an option to contact the web master with your details

Edited by babis3g (Mon 06-Aug-12 02:04:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to