User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steveakuk
(newbie) Fri 03-Aug-12 13:15:14
Print Post

What are Talk Talk really like?

[link to this post]

Im currently with Sky BB and have been for a while, one of the first to take up their offers of broadband. Have full TV package as well but no telephony as thats still with BT.

Looking to maybe change, save some money especially on the TV part and noticed that Talk Talk are going to be offering the Youview box free which also gives the option of taking some sky channels on a month by month basis (no contract)

My query is this, how are TT in regards to broadband connection. I use to work for another major ISP and we regularly heard from customers and seen reports advising of TT CS service and BB service failed to live up to what customers expected

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Aug-12 13:23:56
Print Post

Re: What are Talk Talk really like?

[re: steveakuk] [link to this post]

The BB is generally fine and works.

Customer Service - make sure you register with the members forum before you need support, and then when you need it, that makes things easier.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-12 14:59:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by steveakuk:
My query is this, how are TT in regards to broadband connection.

Absolutely fine if you stick to forum support. Have a quick peek at the forums where pretty much every issue gets satisfactorily resolved:
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...

Like Sky, you'll get no slow downs at peak times and you can download to your hearts content as its truly unlimited (at least on Plus package). However unlike Sky, you can also get static ip address via their forums and they also offer a fastpath profile which is great for gaming and voip. On the downside they dynamically throttle P2P traffic (only protocol they throttle) so if you're a heavy P2P user then perhaps its not such a good idea to move.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Aug-12 15:53:12
Print Post

Some current line stats would be helpful.
Standard User Gene_Genie
(newbie) Fri 03-Aug-12 19:32:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

No static ip's with TT residential, only business accounts.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-12 19:44:22
Print Post

[re: Gene_Genie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gene_Genie:
No static ip's with TT residential, only business accounts.

That's what I thought...but I requested for one on TT forums and was given one, no reason why others can't get one smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Myth
(committed) Sat 04-Aug-12 17:05:04
Print Post

am a medium P2P user, is often slow over weekends and you can give up on torrenting the F1 race before 1am Monday morning, but since I started paying the extra £5 I've had no issues with monthly useage.

Occasional slow downs in the evenings for gaming, but alot less this year than last year.

Overall, 8/10 - ok price and good data allowance, service isn't transparent at times though.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-12 17:18:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by steveakuk:
Im currently with Sky BB and have been for a while, one of the first to take up their offers of broadband. Have full TV package as well but no telephony as thats still with BT...

Before you do anything get onto Sky. They WILL offer you retentions. For instance I have my line rental for £1 and my TV package discounted too.

Also consider that Sky offer just broadband & calls and will probably give you a good deal on that too...

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and if you are happy with Sky give them a chance to offer you something. Go through to cancellations as this is also retentions. Be honest that you are wanting to save some money and would like a retention deal & TT seem cheaper... I've never had to threaten with leaving, they've always given me a great deal.

The way it works is that each advisor has x amount of deals. So the first person may have no deals left to give out. E.g. if they had 10 deals and gave all 10 away already, they have nothing left... If so hang up and ring straight back, this has never failed me. Always got someone with deals by the 2nd call. I've always got a great deal in the end.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 04-Aug-12 17:22:20)

Standard User steveakuk
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:28:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info

Will give sky a ring first and see what they can offer, not interested in the telephony side as having worked for a major adsl company that offered telephony and then seeing and dealing with all the problems that came with it, rather stick with BT unless sky can offer me an amazing deal

The broadband and Tv is my main interest and what i am really looking for the most. BB i am happy with and can get about 5mb on Sky, 2km from the line give or take so im ok with that. Used to P2P a lot but not so much now so not really bothere dby that but just started using sky anytime+ now so would that be throttled by TT
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:58:16
Print Post

Have two landlines with sky

No issues & customer service etc beats BT

You should be offered something for sure! Go through to cancellations as mentioned as they're also retentions. Don't necessarily threaten to leave just be honest

Also bear in mind TT = moving phone over

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 06-Aug-12 11:58:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to