User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-12 00:30:36
Print Post

Router failed, TalkTalk refuse to accept; insist on engineer

[link to this post]

My friend is on TalkTalk, and had been away on holiday. She switches all the electrical stuff in her house off if she is away more than a week. On her return she switched everything back on, and could not get on the internet. She is not technically minded, so called me round.

The ADSL, Wireless and Broadband lights on her router (D-Link 2640R) are off. So I restarted it, then reset it (paperclip in hole) and still the same. The only lights are the power and the LAN into which her desktop is plugged.

Therefore ring TT, to ask for a replacement router. But tehre are 2 lights on on the router, TT say. We had to go through nearly 2 hours of fault diagnosis, until they decided they would have to send out an engineer to "test the line" and there would be a charge if the line was found to be faulty. That was Thursday, the engineer to visit Saturday. There would be a cancellation charge if cancelled on the day. I said I would try out a different friend's talktalk router the following evening (it was now 22:30) on this line to see if it worked, to prove the line was OK, that it was indeed the router, and they said that was fine, there would be no cancellation charge.

Tonight, I did as promised. The alternate router worked perfectly, so we rang TT to cancel, and request a replacement router. There will be a cancellation fee, we were told. Impossible I cried, I have discussed this specific event with your support only last night. Yes there is a fee, he says, you can only cancel up to 4pm the day before. But I had specifically said it would be evening before I could do this check, so why was I not told this last night? No response, other than that the engineer is from TalkTalk Cube Support! As if that makes sense, or I give a damn.

All I wanted to do was save them a wasted journey. If you add their time already spent, a new router would have been cheaper. (Let alone my time and phone bill). When they send the engineer, he will not have a spare with him to leave so my friend will still be without her internet. TT had better not suggest there is a problem with the line that they want some money for. Unfortunately I am otherwise engaged else I would be there to ensure my friend does not have the wool pulled over her eyes.

Oh, and TT will not allow me to invoice them for my wasted journey round town to collect and return a router to prove that the line worked, therefore the router is indeed broken, and there is no need for them to send the engineer. (That was just me getting mad with the system!)

Throughout, the support staff are absolutely polite (for which I have thanked them) BUT they cannot deviate from the script, and the first one had to do tests which were doomed to failure. The second one had to charge if we cancelled, but was happy to send the engineer on a wasted journey WITHOUT the means to resolve the problem (i.e. a replacement router). The system is flawed.

Is it just me or are they crazy? Am I alone or is this common? Is the router one that has problems - I'd always thought it was one of the better ones. Are unsuspecting non-technical customers of theirs being saddled with bills that they should never have paid?

Has anyone any experience or advice?
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-12 01:24:41
Print Post

Re: Router failed, TalkTalk refuse to accept; insist on engi

[re: Fellwalker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fellwalker:
My friend is on TalkTalk, and had been away on holiday. She switches all the electrical stuff in her house off if...

Well the whole system definitely seems back to front.

I am with Sky who are not script monkeys. The process sky took me down when the router failed was to try and access the routers web interface. When this failed it was clear the router was faulty. Took all of 2 minutes.

Now given that they haven't kept to their agreement with regards to you testing the router and it being free etc you have grounds for a complaint. I don't know talktalks exact complaints details however one of the best places (so I've heard) to get decent talktalk advice is http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/

& Yes this process seems to potentially land customers with bills.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-12 10:02:11
Print Post

First of all, ALL telephone calls to TT support are recorded...so if they initially said there would be no charge if you cancel the engineer's visit the day before, then they will not charge. To get this resolved satisfactorily, STAY AWAY from phone support and get your friend registered on the TT forums. Then post your query there (posing as your friend) explaining very clearly what happened. One of the OCEs will send your friend a free replacement router and refund the engineer's charge if its already been taken. The dlink router is fine, however like all electrical goods it can fail. And in future to keep your sanity, stay from TT phone support...just post any issues on the forums and people will do their best to help you smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 04-Aug-12 10:10:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-12 21:20:15
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

But her router had failed so she could not post on a forum!
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-12 21:25:14
Print Post

Well, I am delighted and amazed. The engineer came, looked at the router, did a quick line check and said that the router was no more. He had a spare with him which he set up and left working. So much for the telephone help; clearly they do not know their own procedures as both told me that the engineer would not have a router with him that he could leave.

Still and all, my first call should have resulted in a new router, without the two hours pointless testing of this and that.

One other interesting thing I had forgotten. At one point I was asked to re-run the CD from installation which was a couple of years ago. It refused to run telling me I needed to upgrade the operating system to Windows Vista, XP or 2000. Hmmm, the laptop was running Windows 7. To err is human, to really mess it up you need a computer.
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-12 21:27:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Ah, but using the hard wired desktop computer, we could access the router's web interface. It was the wi-fi, adsl and broadband that had died.

As it is now replaced free of charge, within two days (see my other post), I cannot complain about the end result, but the system is daft.
Standard User j112
(committed) Sat 04-Aug-12 21:49:23
Print Post

I had the exact same issue with Sky. My friend's router died, told sky we needed a new one they would not send one without first an engineer attending. Explained to them countless times the ADSL Side of the router was dead they would not listen. Bought another router from Pc World managed to extract the login information from the Sky Router and the new router working fine .

Rang sky who were first shocked that I managed to get a non sky router working on their network, However they still to this day refuse to send me a sky router unless I have an engineer visit first crazy who will of course charge me as their is no fault with the line...

------------------------------------------------------------------

ISP INFO

Leiceste MONTFORT Internet Connections:
0 - NTL WORLD DIAL UP
1st ISP PIPEX 512k-1mb IPSTREAM
2nd ISP UKONLINE- 4.5mb LLU
3rd ISP Zen - never got connected !
4th SKY MAX LLU - 3.5mb
Current ISP VIrgin Media 60mb

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Print Thread

Jump to