User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slickric21
(newbie) Sat 18-Aug-12 22:44:36
Print Post

Switch to TalkTalk ADSL2+ up to 14mb only now ?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys/Gals,

First post in here so HELLOOOOO, it really seems THE place to discuss broadband in the UK.

Ive been a happy Sky LLU customer for the last 3yrs and before that UKOline for a couple of years before that. But i'm considering a move to TT.
However I notice that thier non fibre offering is adverstised as upto 14mb now ??
is this correct ? It used to be upto 24mb !!!!!!!!!!

My line with a Billion 7402nx router with attenuation of ~30db syncs at around 16100/1100.
Which leads me on to a few more querys....

1) I needed a new router to give me 5ghz wireless, so I got a Netgear 3800. This requires a 3rd party ADSL modem, so I got a Draytek 120.
The Draytek only syncs at 15500/920 only due to chipset mismatch with Skys equiptment.
I'm not on the Sky SVBN so still connected to the original DSLAM which is Conexant/Globespan IIRC - matching the Billion (The Billion 7402nx sadly wont do a PPPoA to PPPoE bridge that my Netgear 3800 needs)
Am I right that the TT use the same chipset as the Draytek 120 so it may be a better match ?

2) Can your line on TT be manually setup with DLM disabled easily ???
I'd like just to go straight onto a 6db profile with 8ms Interleave delay, honestly how hard/much effort will be required to get that sorted ? I really dont want to spend hours on the phone, or be left with a slower speed than what I get with Sky and I know my line is capable of.

3) As and when my exchange goes Fibre (RFS sept 2012) is the TT Fibre product as good as Sky/BT's ????

Thanks for reading and hoe someone can help me with my queries.
(I'm also considering a move to one of the C&W resellers as they TT and SKY are the only LLU providers on my exchange, but thats another topic altogether)

p.s I use my line for alot online streaming of Iplayers, Youtube, netflix, BF3 gaming, and quite abit of Netload/Rapidshare downloading (~500gb pm). I dont really p2p.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Aug-12 01:42:38
Print Post

Re: Switch to TalkTalk ADSL2+ up to 14mb only now ?

[re: slickric21] [link to this post]

When I ordered a few weeks ago, The site also told be up to 14mb but it also said i will be able to connect as fast as my line will go.

Im sure thats a "boost" tho. There is an online chat you can use to confirm.

Im connected at the full 24mb and get downloads of 2.5mb

Your modem/router needs an Infineon chipset. I think thats what yours has.

As for getting a profile change. Its easy as long as you ask for it via the talktalkmembers forum. here: www.talktalkmembers.co.uk Once your connection is live just register there and post in the broadband support section and ask for the 6db interleaved profile.

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Aug-12 03:12:12
Print Post

New Ofcom guidelines to advertise only what majority can get.

You might get more; you might get less!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 19-Aug-12 08:46:17
Print Post

1) yes the draytek 120 v2 is a excellent choice....it uses an Infineon chipset. I'm using one connected to linksys ea4500 router and it's rock solid. It syncs at 18.3 meg on a 29db attenuation line, no reason why you can't get the same. You'll definitely be put on a up to 24 meg service.
2) yes you can have dlm switched off & put on a 6db fast path profile via the forums. I had both of these requests fulfilled within 2 hours of going live smile

3) I've read many good reviews on tt's fibre offering on their forums, pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 19-Aug-12 08:48:35)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Aug-12 10:32:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You might get more; you might get less!

I hope this doesn't mean ISPs start locking their maximum speed to the advertised value. There seems to be little point for them to give speed above the advertised value.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Aug-12 14:30:48
Print Post

Re: Switch to TalkTalk ADSL2+ up to 14mb only now ? - EDITED

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Impossible!

90% of customers get < 14 Meg.
Advertise 14 Meg -> Lock to 14 Meg.

Now 90% of customers get < 11 Meg.
So advertise 11 Meg -> Lock to 11 Meg.

Now 90% of customers get < 9 Meg.
So advertise 9 Meg -> Lock to 9 Meg.

Tends to 0 Meg grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 19-Aug-12 14:47:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Aug-12 14:34:57
Print Post

Agreed, but it is not a majority figure.

Only 10% need to be able to get or exceed the advertised speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Aug-12 14:45:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, OK! I wasn't sure of the %age or its direction but the principle is the same.

Now edited to reflect.

Standard User slickric21
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-12 19:28:59
Print Post

Thanks for the replies smile

Im particulary attracted to the fact you can register on the forums and get your line setup (what appears to be quite easily), instead of having to ring up and jump through hoops like on Sky.

Ive been very happy on Sky and as most people know their LLU service is rock solid same speed/pings 24/7, but the im drawing tired of no offical support for 3rd party routers and with the anticipation of Fibre in the next few months i want to be able to use my own router easily and not be tied to having to run DD-WRT firmware (with a startup script), which is still quite buggy on my Netgear 3800.

That and im annoyed that Sky's so called unlimited no shaped service (there big selling point), isnt exactly true given that they are now blocking access to several file hosting sites inc netload where i cant even access my own legit files ive stored there.
However TT is probably blocking the same sites now i think.

Ok so just to clarify do TT offer an 8ms Interleave delay on their 6db profile ??
I only ask as I recall with UKO when i tried fastpath my line was all over place in the evenings, but 8ms interleave is fine at ~16mb which is about what my line usually syncs at.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Aug-12 20:50:05
Print Post

Re: Switch to TalkTalk ADSL2+ up to 14mb only now ? - EDITED

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
90% of customers get < 14 Meg.
Advertise 14 Meg -> Lock to 14 Meg.

Now 90% of customers get < 11 Meg.
So advertise 11 Meg -> Lock to 11 Meg.

I don't follow. As 10% get 14 meg, even when their speed is locked to 14 meg, Talktalk would be able to advertise 14 meg.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to