User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User demmo
(regular) Mon 20-Aug-12 15:07:31
Print Post

Is anyone on TalkTalk fibre service

[link to this post]

I am on BT Infinity fibre but that deal will expire in October. I have been given a good deal by TalkTalk on their fibre 40MB unlimited service.Anyone here on TalkTalk fibre can give advise how the service is.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 07:51:31
Print Post

Re: Is anyone on TalkTalk fibre service

[re: demmo] [link to this post]

almost all current fibre products are resold BT products (TalkTalk's is), so your connection shouldn't change.

If by service you mean customer support etc, I expect it will be normal TalkTalk stuff.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 10:17:30
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Myth:
almost all current fibre products are resold BT products (TalkTalk's is), so your connection shouldn't change.

If by service you mean customer support etc, I expect it will be normal TalkTalk stuff.

I assume that TT will do what SKY do and take the GEA feed at the exchange and use their existing backhaul from there.

That is very different to taking the BT Wholesale product as do the smaller providers and does differentiate the product from the BT ones (for better or for worse).

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:48:17
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

this makes sense, but it makes me wonder why Be were not going to offer a fibre product because of being tied down to BT's infrastructure/throttling etc.

Did something change within BT over the last few years to enable this connection to the LLU provider's backhauls?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:52:08
Print Post

TalkTalk do take the GEA, same as Sky do, and actually same as BT Wholesale do.

The issue with Be was the use of some old DSLAM's not suitable for this sort of handover, and also the backhaul network needing a large investment to avoid it being a total lagfest when very fast customers are online.

The Be move was nothing to do with BT throttling, as BT Retail throttling was never an issue for FTTC/P.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:58:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

so it's more like Be's backhaul was good when they were first, but now it is old and not up to the job? interesting.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 19:39:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
so it's more like Be's backhaul was good when they were first, but now it is old and not up to the job? interesting.

The BE/O2 backhaul can cope with ADSL2+ speed (and performs happily for BE (now O2) Wholesale).

They are building a new network and that, it is thought, will be able to handle the volumes expected for FTTx assuming that BE/O2 are prepared to enter this market in future which is by no means certain.

A question of investment constraints when owned by a Spanish telecoms company.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
  Print Thread

Jump to