User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Sep-12 16:54:47
Print Post

Is the connection any good?

[link to this post]

I've had bad experiences with TalkTalk in the past but I am having difficulty justifying paying £35.00 a month for Zen 8000 Pro (without calls or line rental etc) when TalkTalk can offer ADSL2+ in my area for about half the price with phone etc!

Given I have been used to quality operations like PIPEX and Zen for the past 7 years am I likely to get dissapointed by TalKTalk if I switch?

What are your thoughts?

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 09-Sep-12 17:35:09)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 09-Sep-12 17:55:30
Print Post

Re: Is the connection any good?

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Just make the switchover. It'll save you money and the connections not bad. Customer service isn't going to be good but there's always the members forum.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Sep-12 18:19:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Just make the switchover. It'll save you money and the connections not bad. Customer service isn't going to be good but there's always the members forum.
+1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Sep-12 19:49:25
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
+1

+2

Edit to add -

Make sure you register at the talk talk members forum as soon as you can as some customers have problems doing so - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/f/4150124-...

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Sun 09-Sep-12 19:52:13)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 10-Sep-12 07:15:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Given I have been used to quality operations like PIPEX and Zen for the past 7 years am I likely to get dissapointed by TalKTalk if I switch?

As long as you're not a heavy p2p user, you'll be fine with the devil's spawn. Like yourself, i used to be with niche isp's such as Netplan and Goscomb on a BT 20CN service but as soon as TT LLU'd my exchange in Aug 2010, i was in a major dilemma...go with talktalk direct or via a reseller such as Xilo. Cost wasn't an issue as i was already paying £45 a month with Goscomb on a 8 meg connection...but wanted higher speeds on ADSL2+ as i live quite close to the exchange. Anyway i decided to sleep with the devil and 2 years later i'm still a very happy TT customer. Probably the best isp i have ever used in terms of speeds and reliability. As others have said, stick to forum support and you won't have any issues - i had my downstream SNR lowered from 12db to 6db within 2 hrs of going live via the forums.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:51:10
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I'm tempted by their business service as (when you read the confusing website) it suggests not as much traffic management is going on. Might see if I can speak to someone there so they can offer the home phone and TV packages but the business broadband. Not holding much hope for that but worth a try!

Zen 8000 Pro
(experienced) Wed 12-Sep-12 06:35:24
Print Post

TBH unless you need a static ip address, are a heavy p2p user and require decent phone support then its not worth paying a premium for their business offering. Also remember they have a 100gb per month FUP on the business service, whereas the Plus package on TT residential is truly unlimited. P2P is the only protocol TT residential throttle and even then its done dynamically...every other protocol runs at line speed 24/7. So great for gaming (using fastpath), voip, HD video streaming (Netflix HD runs great on my line).

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:05:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Also remember they have a 100gb per month FUP on the business service, whereas the Plus package on TT residential is truly unlimited.

Unlimited with FUP is not truly unlimited.

Oliver.
(experienced) Wed 12-Sep-12 13:09:02
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Unlimited with FUP is not truly unlimited.

are you referring to the business or residential service? Their residential plus service is truly unlimited, their FUP applies to the cheaper essentials package. If you're referring to their unlimited (sic) business package then no-one has claimed this is truly unlimited.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 12-Sep-12 13:11:04)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Sep-12 13:17:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
are you referring to the business or residential service? Their residential plus service is truly unlimited, their FUP applies to the cheaper essentials package.

Here's the FUP for the Plus residential package: http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/fup.html

Unlike BT and Sky, there is an "extreme" limit at which they can kick people off.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to