User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pete_boardman
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 15:41:07
Print Post

Now free?!

[link to this post]

I had a trio of TalkTalk salesmen come to the door today. "Are you still paying for broadband?" they asked. "Yes", I replied. "Who are you with?", they asked. "Eclipse", I replied. "OK", they said, "but if you switch to us you'll get free broadband. Your exchange has just been modified, so everyone in this are is now entitled to free broadband." I said I'll look into it, and shut the door.

I'm assuming that they were going to say something like "if you buy x, y, and z from us, you'll get free broadband"? Nothing on their web site made much sense. So what's this offer actually come down to? I do know that our exchange was upgraded to 21CN in May this year.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:01:24
Print Post

Re: Now free?!

[re: pete_boardman] [link to this post]

It's the usual BS that Talktalk sales staff provide. As you summised, broadband is not free on Talktalk. You have to switch your line rental to them (not free) and subscribe to a package (not free). They try to spin the package as purely calls because it's pretty cheap at £3.25, which compares quite closely to BT's E&W at £3.15 (but even BT throw in E&W calls when you take broadband from them).

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 05-Oct-12 17:02:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:45:14
Print Post

Feel free to report to ASA if you feel they were mis-representing the packages that are available

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Oct-12 18:03:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by pete_boardman:
I do know that our exchange was upgraded to 21CN in May this year.
Wasted knowledge! TT don't do 21CN; they're LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Oct-12 18:13:09
Print Post

Also had this the other day..

But since we are already with TT it was all pointless.

They also said BB was free.

I told them that im paying £14.50 for line rental and £14.50 for the essentials package.. so not free

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 23448 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 11.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 4.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Oct-12 00:07:19
Print Post

Yep, that is the sort of rubbish they spout when they come here. i am waiting for the next time, which I expect will be soon now we got FTTC around here and then i will take them outside to the road and point to my roof and then wave them goodbye.

i thought they would have changed their tune by now, surly they should realise that most people are not that thick to believe you can get broadband for nothing.

Ok, I know Sky gives free broadband if you got sky Tv, but you can't do much with it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Oct-12 19:06:15
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Ok, I know Sky gives free broadband if you got sky Tv, but you can't do much with it.

Again, that's nowhere near "free", because you need to shell out at least £36 a month on Sky TV and Sky line rental.

Oliver.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Oct-12 09:23:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:

Again, that's nowhere near "free", because you need to shell out at least £36 a month on Sky TV and Sky line rental.

But if you already got Sky Tv and you already got a phone line and pay line rental then it is free.

Sure if you get Sky TV just to get the free broadband then it is not free.

I know someone who had free broadband for 12 months, they won a competition and had sky broadband for for nothing for a whole 12 months.

The housing association who I rent this place from is suppose to be giving all their tenants free broadband. When it will happen is another thing and what speed it will be is another thing.
They will be using the same company I am with, but I expect they will use the lowest option which is 2Mb/s, but unlimited. Still for free it will be fine for some people.

i got the 10 megabit connection, which costs more and then there is a 5 megabits connection for home users.

There is a 30megabit for higher end users, like bushinesses.

Maybe I will get my instillation fee back if they do this free broadband, but i doubt it smile

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to