User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Notabene
(newbie) Sun 14-Oct-12 12:45:41
Print Post

ADSL Cease - How to arrange?

[link to this post]

Have been with Pipex, now TalkTalk, for many years. Now wish to have broadband removed and cease service. Understand it's an "ADSL Cease". Approx two months to go to end of 1-year contract. Would appreciate advice:

1. Whom do I contact at TalkTalk/Pipex to make sure things go smoothly?
2. When will it be appropriate to cancel Standing Order.
3. How much will it cost? (Seems unique to ADSL that one has to pay to cease ADSL service!)

TIA
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 14-Oct-12 13:21:33
Print Post

Re: ADSL Cease - How to arrange?

[re: Notabene] [link to this post]

Call them up and request them to put a cease on your service. They'll probably beg you to stay but make up an excuse if you find they won't take 'no' for an answer - say something like you're moving abroad for good. Once you're off the phone, go to the TT forums and just reconfirm what was agreed over the phone with a TT OCE - all tel calls are recorded by TT so the OCE can refer to your call in case of any misunderstandings. The OCE will be able to provide answers to Q2 and Q3.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 14:51:19
Print Post

What about the line? Is that with TT too or are you on a legacy Partial LLU BB?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Notabene
(newbie) Sun 14-Oct-12 15:14:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for advice.

Taking the advice given I confirm that I have just spoken to a TT customer rep ("Kelly") who, following my request for "ADSL Cease", said that this will be carried out at the end of my contract period, namely on 26 December 2012.

There is thus, she agreed, no early termination charge.

The only 'fly in the ointment' from my perspective was that I was instructed (!) not to cancel direct debit instruction, that is not to cancel direct debit instructions even after the ADSL cease date.
TT, she said, would do the direct debit cancelling.

Question: Is this normal/appropriate? I should feel much happier cancelling it myself but was told that would lead to further charges. This seems to make a mockery of any direct debit guarantee.So I might take this up with them by letter post. Any suitable address?

I'm an original Pipex customer, broadband only. So hopefully it won't affect the BT dial-up. (??)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 16:30:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Notabene:
Question: Is this normal/appropriate? I should feel much happier cancelling it myself but was told that would lead to further charges. This seems to make a mockery of any direct debit guarantee.
Yes and saves you being harassed by debt collectors. It's so they can charge any outstanding amount or more importantly refund any unused advance payments after the cease date. They must bill/inform you of any charges made. Best you delay cancelling until you have received and paid final bill.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Notabene
(newbie) Sun 14-Oct-12 17:26:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Best you delay cancelling until you have received and paid final bill.

Yes, agreed -- But the TT person said don't cancel, period. I was intending cancelling (say) first working day in new year, but the message was don't cancel even after ADSL Cease has been actioned.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:00:32
Print Post

As been said wait until your last bill and then as soon as that is paid cancel the direct debit.

the reason why you get charged to cease is because Bt charges, i had to pay £29.90 when I ceased from ADSL24 and they cancelled my DD before I had chance to smile Not sure if TT will do that.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to