User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 12:59:50
Print Post

TalkTalk Offers Free YouView

[link to this post]

I am thinking of ditching Sky and going for TT Youview, the only thing that is holding me back is the thought of going back to watching SD on all but BBC One HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD, the last time i used a freeview box with my LCD TV the picture quality on some channels was awful.

Has anyone here had this installed?

Does the box up-scale the SD channels and if not how do you find the picture quality?

TIA.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 14-Oct-12 15:26:14
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Offers Free YouView

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

I thought youview did do HD
http://www.youview.com/features/
claims
"High Definition
Extraordinary TV in HD

Brighter, sharper pictures and sound. YouView supports full HD. On demand and catch up programmes are also available in HD, and if you record something in HD, you can watch it back in HD."
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 17:14:54
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I thought youview did do HD

It does that's why i said -

"holding me back is the thought of going back to watching SD on all but BBC One HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD"

Most of the channels i watch regularly on Sky are in HD so going back to SD is going to be a big step backwards if the picture quality is rubbish, i will stay with Sky if this is the case.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Oct-12 17:25:37
Print Post

The live channels are just Freeview so only those in HD on Freeview will be in HD on the YouView box.
The on-demand aspects will vary according to the content source.

Used freeview recently on a big TV and amazed how people put up with the blocky picture on SD

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 17:48:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Used freeview recently on a big TV and amazed how people put up with the blocky picture on SD

That is what it was like on mine, i thought the cheap Asda freeview box wasn't helping but it looks like freeview is not the best option, i will stick with Sky and wait until we get FTTC by then we will probably all be viewing the majority of channels in HD by way of our Broadband connections..
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 21:49:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
I am thinking of ditching Sky and going for TT Youview, the only thing that is holding me back is the thought of going back to watching SD on all but BBC One HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD, the last time i used a freeview box with my LCD TV the picture quality on some channels was awful.

Has anyone here had this installed?

Does the box up-scale the SD channels and if not how do you find the picture quality?

TIA.
Why does what appears to be a set top tv box require some employee of talk talk to install it, as presumably it will connect to the existing antenna and or router ,why does something as trivial as this require customers to spend £50.00 when they can easily perform D.I.Y. and achieve the same or a better outcome without it

http://www.youview.com/how-it-works/

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 14-Oct-12 21:53:04)

Standard User ntm1275
(learned) Mon 15-Oct-12 00:47:43
Print Post

You may want to look at VouView shortcomin before deciding
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/dtr-t1000-youview-shor...

If you aren't that bothered about the catch up services (apart from iPlayer), a much better option is the Humax HDR-Fox T2

I have one and it upscales SD content and it is perfectly fine on my Panny 42" TV

I've been on Freeview for years, and this is the best PVR I've ever owned for Freeview

It also has a lively custom firmware community, that adds all manner of extra features to it
Such as:-
Web interface
Smart Phone Web Interface
Remote scheduling
Network Share mount - play virtually any video/music/photo stored on a computer, server or NAS
Decrypt both SD and HD content
Transfer recorded video to USB drive, or via your home network (SD and HD) to a computer
FTP server
On box video splicer
Bittorrent client
Samba server
There are many more, just too many to list

Look at the Forum for more info
http://hummy.tv/forum/

Talk Talk Business up to 24meg LLU
Sync Speed 23717 1020
Line Attenuation 17db 6.5db
Noise Margin 0.6db 14.9db
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 10:53:21
Print Post

Freeview picture quality is awful and since a youview box is a glorified Freeview PVR, it will be the same.

The idea of youview is good, in that the you can go back in time on the guide, but then it goes from the guide and onto the providers app. So you pick say HIGNFY on BBc a couple of days back and it will go to the BBC Iplayer, so no standard interface.

The box can also be a bit slow.

i don't have one myself, but I am in contact with someone who got one as they was in the trials.

Maybe you should wait until the bring out a Freesat version.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:22:15
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Freeview picture quality is awful and since a youview box is a glorified Freeview PVR, it will be the same.

The idea of youview is good, in that the you can go back in time on the guide, but then it goes from the guide and onto the providers app. So you pick say HIGNFY on BBc a couple of days back and it will go to the BBC Iplayer, so no standard interface.
Sounds like something easily achievable by Raspbmc on my Raspberry Pi.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-12 18:23:38
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Why does what appears to be a set top tv box require some employee of talk talk to install it, as presumably it will connect to the existing antenna and or router ,why does something as trivial as this require customers to spend £50.00 when they can easily perform D.I.Y. and achieve the same or a better outcome without it

No one seems to be letting on but i have read there will be a D - I - Y install option next year.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Mon 15-Oct-12 18:23:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to