User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bua
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 18:44:47
Print Post

Talktalk LLU enquiry - advice sought please

[link to this post]

Hello,

Hoping for some advice from talktalk customers. I live in a fairly rural town and have been waiting for a long time for LLU or fibre to come here. Currently get 6.6 down and 0.8 up with zen and zen are super reliable, but as far as I know no speed upgrade coming here anytime soon.

I haven't checked samknows for a while and was unaware that talktalk now have LLU running here. A rep arrived at my door today and I discovered LLU finally available here. she gave me the usual stuff about how the broadband is free (still pay for broadband - they're just calling it free I know. All charges in phone line rental). I didn't agree anything with her as need to do research first.

Anyway, if I get the speed the talktalk site is saying I will be slightly above 18 download speed, which trebles my current download speed. Very interesting!!

What I want to know is, how reliable is their service. Don't care about email as I don't use isp email addresses, and I wont be hosting domains with them or anything. I simply care about stability of the service?

Please let me know if it is ok? Does the speed drop down from max to 500mbps a lot (contention problems), or do you get a fairly consistent speed?

Keen to read any replies.

Couple of extra questions:

Do you absolutely have to enter into a 12 month contract with them, and if so is it impossible to get out of if you are not happy.

Are there any other gotchas to watch out for.

I've currently got an adsl modem (belkin n600). Will this work with talktalk LLU?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Oct-12 19:24:31
Print Post

Re: Talktalk LLU enquiry - advice sought please

[re: bua] [link to this post]

Since you haven't mentioned cost as being a consideration then I would recommend resellers who use the TalkTalk kit at the exchange. These would be a partial LLU deals available on one month minimum terms and you could keep your line rental payable to another provider if you so wished.

TalkTalk would be full LLU and the line rental would be payable to them, both broadband and line rental would be on at least a 12 month contract, however overall cost would probably be considerably less than partial LLU.

It terms of broadband performance resellers' partial LLU will be as good as if not better than TalkTalk full LLU.
Standard User bua
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 19:59:53
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Cost not a consideration. Line for business and personal and anyway would definitely be cheaper than existing service.

I forgot to ask this, and it's really important for me. The checker is telling me I can get 18 meg down, but nothing about upload. What can I expect of the upload speed. Currently on 0.8 up with zen business service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 20:52:16
Print Post

If you can shows us your current connection speeds, attenuation and noise margin figures we can evaluate the TalkTalk speed claims

If getting 0.8Meg now probably similar with TalkTalk

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bua
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:00:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Also, sorry If I'm spamming the forum a bit. Since I hadn't had an answer on here for a while I just posted a new thread solely on upload speeds. Hope that's ok.

Here's the stats from my router:

Type Interleave Path
Status Show Time
______________ Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) _ 8128 - 832
Noise Margin (dB) _ 10.0 - 15.0
Attenuation (dB) _ 11.2 - 4.5
Output power(dbm) _ 9.9 - 12.4
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:00:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by bua:
I forgot to ask this, and it's really important for me. The checker is telling me I can get 18 meg down, but nothing about upload. What can I expect of the upload speed. Currently on 0.8 up with zen business service.

With my residential partial LLU connection (ISP xilo/uno - TalkTalk/CPW exchange kit) my upstream sync is 1022Kbps which allows an upstream throughput (file upload) speed of 859Kbps.
Standard User bua
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:03:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:

With my residential partial LLU connection (ISP xilo/uno - TalkTalk/CPW exchange kit) my upstream sync is 1022Kbps which allows an upstream throughput (file upload) speed of 859Kbps.

That's close to what I currently get. As long as I don't lose upload speed I'm ok.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:17:54
Print Post

That's close to what I currently get. As long as I don't lose upload speed I'm ok.

If upload speed is particularly important for you then you might perhaps consider an Annex M 2.5Mbps upstream LLU connection which might be available for a business user...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:50:58
Print Post

Hello,

Hoping for some advice from talktalk customers. I live in a fairly rural town and have been waiting for a long time for LLU or fibre to come here. Currently get 6.6 down and 0.8 up with zen and zen are super reliable, but as far as I know no speed upgrade coming here anytime soon.

I haven't checked samknows for a while and was unaware that talktalk now have LLU running here. A rep arrived at my door today and I discovered LLU finally available here. she gave me the usual stuff about how the broadband is free (still pay for broadband - they're just calling it free I know. All charges in phone line rental). I didn't agree anything with her as need to do research first.

Anyway, if I get the speed the talktalk site is saying I will be slightly above 18 download speed, which trebles my current download speed. Very interesting!!

What I want to know is, how reliable is their service. Don't care about email as I don't use isp email addresses, and I wont be hosting domains with them or anything. I simply care about stability of the service?

Please let me know if it is ok? Does the speed drop down from max to 500mbps a lot (contention problems), or do you get a fairly consistent speed?

Keen to read any replies.

Couple of extra questions:

Do you absolutely have to enter into a 12 month contract with them, and if so is it impossible to get out of if you are not happy.

Are there any other gotchas to watch out for.

I've currently got an adsl modem (belkin n600). Will this work with talktalk LLU?
I would not trust what any tt sales staff, cold calling had to say,

For a kick off going by the stats from your router you should see full sync thats 24mbps down and what ever it is upstream that what you have is a very short line,

Check samknows for confirmation that tt has LLU in your exchange , I would take the wholesale service rather than the retail one size fits all mass market offerings, bt line rental( with line rental saver 10.75 per month ) tt £14.50 + calls package /bb, it could work out cheaper for you and would be easier to switch ISP ect, also no chance of loosing your existing number
Yes tt want their 12/18month min term contract, and once the 10days at the start has elapsed there's no get out free, without a struggle anyway, and due to the time it has taken to provision some customers (months without service) that would be long gone, suggest you have a good read on this and other forums about talk talk retail before you order

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:55:22
Print Post

Exchange must be almost outside your front door, so 18 Meg or possibly faster is feasible.
The 1.1 Meg maximum sync, i.e. 200 to 300 Kbps better than now is also feasible.

Decision is go for one of their online deals, or find a suitable package with one of the resellers.

If upstream is very important then a reseller that sells the Annex M variant is definitely worth looking at, might cost 1 to 2 Meg downstream speed, but 2 Meg or all the way to 2.5Meg should be possible on your line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to