User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 23:37:06
Print Post

Plus TV, broadband and phone currently not available?

[link to this post]

We recently cancelled our Sky subscription so have been without live pause, recording etc for a few weeks. Can't be living without live pause! so just been on the TalkTalk site checking out the YouView offer, however when I stick my phone number and post code in the checker it comes back with "Sorry. Our checks show that our TV service is not available in your area yet".

Now this is slightly confusing as I understood that YouView works via the TV aerial and the Internet? So, how could it possibly NOT be available in my area?

I should point out that although we are not on a LLU exchange and our speed is only about 3mb we do have an Internet enabled tv to which we stream iPlayer, 4OD, Netflix and LoveFilm without any problems. We also can easily get Freeview HD via the tv itself so, what's going on with the checker?

Something else that may or may not have a bearing on this is when I tried their speed tester it would not work. Instead it said that my postcode didn't match the details they have available for my phone number? Very odd.

Anyone else come across this problem when looking to sign up or has any suggestions as to why it's happening?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 23:40:58
Print Post

Re: Plus TV, broadband and phone currently not available?

[re: pcmaczone] [link to this post]

TalkTalk dropped their non LLU services I though, which might explain the problem What do they offer you if you look at the essentials product?

TalkTalk is likely to be pretty firm on the 3 Mbps speed thing too, NetFlix is exceptionally good at coping with line speed variations, but not had a YouView to play with to assess that side of it - maybe should pester someone for another toy to play with, and do some monitoring of the bandwidth used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 23:51:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If I try Essentials it says

We're sorry, our checks show that the address you have entered is outside of our network. Unfortunately this means we are unable to give you the best value and high quality service we promise our customers. We recommend you try another reputable phone and broadband provider.

I'm guessing that means they have indeed dropped non LLU services. Would be nice if they mentioned that on the front of the site.

Will just have to stump up for a YouView box without TalkTalk. Anyway, we are hoping to have FTTB sometime next year so perhaps the options will be better then.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 00:38:49
Print Post

It is probably worth looking around at other devices too, unless the integration into TV guide is the killer app for you.

Or heaven forbid consider BT Total and their YouView offers to subsidise box cost

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-12 01:17:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It is probably worth looking around at other devices too, unless the integration into TV guide is the killer app for you.

Or heaven forbid consider BT Total and their YouView offers to subsidise box cost

Just like the idea of bringing all the catchup services into one HD pvr. At the moment we have a PS3 and an Internet Enabled TV. We never use the PS3 for games and have hardly watched any 3D content since getting it two years ago so dropping 3D won't be a loss and anyway we can still stream 3D or play via USB. So, really I'm after a one box solution.

Did briefly consider BT but their BT Vision box doesn't do live HD, only catchup and premium content HD movies. That's a deal breaker for me as we need to be able to also record HD via Freeview because our connection is not good enough to stream it via the net.

It's really nice living out in the countryside but it's also one big pain in the ass as far as broadband is concerned frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 10:02:50
Print Post

Was not referring to the old BT Vision box but rather their upcoming launch of the YouView box

http://www.youview.bt.com/
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40469...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5458-free-youview...
Seems you may have to order BT Vision Essential package mix to get the box at the reduced price, so it is very much do the sums.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 13:33:36
Print Post

You might also want to check out Freesat's latest: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/freesat/

Catch up TV is integrated into the EPG. BBC and ITV are live, Channel 4 & 5 coming soon.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 19-Oct-12 13:34:46)

Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-12 14:02:27
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
You might also want to check out Freesat's latest: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/freesat/

Catch up TV is integrated into the EPG. BBC and ITV are live, Channel 4 & 5 coming soon.

Looks similar in features to YouView only slightly more expensive. Definitely worth considering though so thanks for the suggestion smile
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 14:43:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcmaczone:
Looks similar in features to YouView only slightly more expensive. Definitely worth considering though so thanks for the suggestion smile

Freesat's channel range is more comprehensive too, especially if you live in an area (as I do) only covered by a relay transmitter (informally known as "Freeview Light").

Oliver.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-12 14:59:29
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Had often considered jumping to FreeSat. We have Freeview HD which is fine and of course the free channels on the Sky box...just now minus the live pause and recording.

The only thing that is making me think about tying this in with a broadband deal is we are considering moving from PlusNet, originally to TalkTalk but that's no longer possible so now thinking about BT.

Last time I considered moving, BT didn't offer an "unlimited" package otherwise we would have gone with them. Having a cap on downloads if you have an Internet enabled tv just doesn't make any sense at all. We use iPlayer a lot and that can suck up bandwidth even for SD viewing. Then there's youtube, online gaming, music, email, browsing etc. Add that to my work, which is nearly all online and a capped deal would never work. Example, I am at the moment transferring a 39Gb file from one server in the USA to another here in the UK. It's slow of course but it's going SFTP server to server but using my bandwidth as an intermediary. With BT's previous 40Gb allowance you can see that would have not been possible?

So, an uncapped deal (obviously with P2P traffic management) plus something like a YouView box and....very much an attraction for us, the free access to wi-fi around the country is looking like a pretty good prospect. Will have to wait until the 26th Oct and see what BT can offer then. Certainly would not sign up to one of their existing BT Vision boxes, not without HD recording.
  Print Thread

Jump to