User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jon_67
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-12 14:03:53
Print Post

Newbie question (Aol software compatibility)

[link to this post]

I am currently with Aol and using their Aol 9.6 destop software. I have been advised by TalkTalk that when i transfer to them i can still use the Aol software to access the internet rather than having to use internet explorer as they are the same company. Can anyone confirm this as i suspect they are just saying this to persuade me to sign up.

Edited by jon_67 (Mon 29-Oct-12 14:04:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Oct-12 14:28:36
Print Post

Re: Newbie question (Aol software compatibility)

[re: jon_67] [link to this post]

Why would anyone want to?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Oct-12 14:59:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jon_67:
I am currently with Aol and using their Aol 9.6 destop software. I have been advised by TalkTalk that when i transfer to them i can still use the Aol software to access the internet rather than having to use internet explorer as they are the same company. Can anyone confirm this as i suspect they are just saying this to persuade me to sign up.
Aol Bloatware was not needed with AOL It's a resource hog too
uninstall it, the router has the configuration that's needed to use the internet or should have
TalkTalk bought out Aol sometime ago, so not the same company really, As for if the change will affect you in a negative way, that would depend who you currently are paying line rental to, most if not all TT retail is fully unbundled FMPF LLU (Phone & ADSL)

Do you buy just Adsl services from AOL ? or both Phone and DSL ? if only ADSL and you want to become a tt customer then your phone line rental &calls will moved from BT's control to theirs, if you are currently inside any contract terms with your current telephony supplier or you don't give the required notice you may have to pay some charges to them
And once you are full LLU there is no MAC code system in place to cover full llu

Migrating away can be a pain, with longer down time but down time of both phone &bb in some cases , My advice would be to un install the AOL bloat ware it's not needed anyway , and weigh up the pros and cons of switching to tt before you do,
check out there member forums Broadband Support

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-12 15:12:37
Print Post

The AOL software will still continue to work.

The software is effectively independent of the connection. Though as others have pointed out the AOL Portal can be accessed via a standard web browser too, along with the email and other bits and pieces.

This applies to any ISP - not just TalkTalk.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 30-Oct-12 12:47:21
Print Post

not really relevant but reminded me of a use I found for the AOL CDs found in bins in the computer/electricals shops.

After many weeks just grabbing a handful from the bin inside the shop and immediately dropping them in the bin outside the shop, I used a bunch to make a bird scarer for the allotment smile

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User normcall
(member) Tue 30-Oct-12 13:36:19
Print Post

I've been with AOl for over 10 years (sad or what?), I actually only ever used their software when I first joined and just gave it up as it was so useless.
Went to Mozilla and now use Seamonkey for all e-mail and browsing.
As others have said, it just a provider and any thing from Opera to IE and thunderbird or even the new google offering.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Oct-12 14:02:59
Print Post

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

Wasn't the software necessary to connect to dial-up, in the dial-up days?

Oliver.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Oct-12 16:36:05
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Memory is a bit misty but i don't believe the AOl software was necessarily the only way to connect to there dial up service but was more the officially supported method by AOL
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Oct-12 16:59:47
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In the dark mists of time (Windows 3.1) there was no dialup software in Windows. Windows 95 added support if memory serves me right, or was it in Windows 98?

This was the time when Demon issued its own software too to handle the dial-up etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 19:03:43
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

As I remember it AOL s/w created a DUN connection that was hidden from Network Connections. But, no doubt, it could have been set up manually w/out the s/w.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to