User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ClassAct
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:21:27
Print Post

what are the optimum settings for my connection? help

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I recently made a move from BT to TalkTalk, and the speed is better but not as good as I was expecting. They said my speed would be between 10-20MB with an average of 18.2MB.

I am getting 10-15MB when I've tried speed tests etc, different times of day etc.

Here are my connection details:

ADSL Mode ADSL2 PLUS
Interleaving On

Line Attenuation
up 1.2
down 4.0

SN Margin
up 11.6
down 12.2

What should I tell them to set it to (and how should I do that - telephone?)?
Or should I leave well alone. I am close to the exchange so I thought I could get it boosted a little more.

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:35:23
Print Post

Re: what are the optimum settings for my connection? help

[re: ClassAct] [link to this post]

What speed is the modem actually connecting at? Rather than what speed do speedtests say are getting

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ClassAct
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:39:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think you mean this:

DSL Line Speed
up 844 kbps
down 17755 kbps

Hope that helps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Nov-12 14:00:00
Print Post

The best thing to do is to get interleaving turned off

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 14:27:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

That's not going to help with speed/throughput though - could make throughput slower. If the OP is an avid gamer, then certainly do consider switching interleaving off as it will improve ping times.

However, those are seriously good stats, and changing the line profile, from what appears to be a 12dB profile currently, to a 6dB profile will boost the speed somewhat. I'd recommend heading over to http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.p... and making your request there.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 14:38:13
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Futaura:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

That's not going to help with speed/throughput though - could make throughput slower. If the OP is an avid gamer, then certainly do consider switching interleaving off as it will improve ping times.

However, those are seriously good stats, and changing the line profile, from what appears to be a 12dB profile currently, to a 6dB profile will boost the speed somewhat. I'd recommend heading over to http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.p... and making your request there.
With such a short line Fastpath ain't going to have any negative impact on the connection, It looks like DLM has borked things by artificially capping both upstream and the downstream sync speeds, because even with a target SNR of 12db the sync should be higher , it's probably applied INP at some insane amount also , My advice would be disable DLM switch to fastpath lower Target margin until full sync speeds are reached , if this cannot be achieved then there are issues with the tt llu kit or the line it's self

Standard User ClassAct
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 17:48:42
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

tommy45, I'm not sure what INP/DLM is, but from what I can gather, if I change the SN Margin to 6 or 9 that would work better.

I will try requesting that.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 19:08:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by ClassAct:
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

tommy45, I'm not sure what INP/DLM is, but from what I can gather, if I change the SN Margin to 6 or 9 that would work better.

I will try requesting that.
INP (impulse noise protection) is used only where a line has serious problems it's job is to try and mask them DLM (dynamic line management) is used by some ISP's to set the line profile it is an a fully automated tool that will determine what the max sync speed will be, setting the target snr and the amount of interleave and INP applied , based on preset parameters ,But sometimes it gets things wrong very wrong ,which in turn serves to benefit the isp ,
My advise Request DLM is disabled /line is uncapped and also change your profile to 24FSNR6 Which is a 6DB SNR with fastpath , & see how it goes this is best done by contacting support via their members forum , telephone support probably wouldn't have a clue ,(registration is required to use the tt forum)
TTmembers registration

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Nov-12 05:05:41
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Just like to add that DLM is actually turned off when you are put on the 24FSNR6 profile smile

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User ClassAct
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-12 18:11:07
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I happened to reset my router yesterday, and it reconnected at a better speed and different settings. I never asked them to change anything.

It's possible DLM changed it by itself.

New stats:
DSL Line Speed
up 960 kbps
down 19197 kbps

Line Attenuation
up 1.1
down 4.0

SN Margin
up 8.6
down 9.7

I will see how this goes, but I will likely ask them to change it to 24FSNR6 as suggested.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to