User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User exiledscot
(newbie) Thu 06-Dec-12 17:10:52
Print Post

TalkTalk Plus LLU - Synch speed issue.

[link to this post]

Hi all - new user here. I have searched but cannot find exact same issue on forum - apologies for the new post if I missed something.
I went active on TTPlus LLU (TV/bb/phone) this morning, with the youview install due next wed 12/12.
I am a legacy f2s customer with an "up to 8Mb" package that became TTBusiness a couple of years ago. With a stable link and good speed for a couple of years now decided to go for the ADSL2+ LLU.
I monitor my router synch & line speeds weekly anyway & have been daily since placing order on 21/11. Since then synch has been 1022 / 8189 (down/up) with speedtest.net tests at different time of day varying between 0.83-0.86 / 6.16-7.11. Pretty ok for "up to 8Mb".
Early this morning I checked my router and noticed synch had dropped to around 0.8 / 5.8. At 10am or so b'band & phone went dead and came back on within a few mins - switch to LLU (?).
B'band was still working with my old f2s login details (account still active for the day I guess) and same lower synch speed with my Lynksys ADSL2+ router.
Swapped Linksys for my new TT HG533 router & connected but synch speed only slightly higher at 0.84 / 6.529.

It isn't a throughput issue - as that won't exceed the router synch speed to the exchange.

I suspect that even after moving to LLU, my speed is still capped at "up to 8Mb" as I was an f2s customer on that speed. Line estimates (from all ISP's) suggested between 10.5 - 16Mb, with TT saying an average of 11.6Mb & max 14.5.

(Can't get into TT forum yet - have sent a/c details using contact form, even though registration form also asks for a/c & tel num details).

Any thoughts ?

Many thanks.

Edited by exiledscot (Thu 06-Dec-12 17:42:47)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-12 17:47:38
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Plus LLU - Synch speed issue.

[re: exiledscot] [link to this post]

Full router stats?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User exiledscot
(newbie) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:05:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for quick reply XRay..

Stats taken just now from advanced WAN page >>

Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 840
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 6529
Line standard ADSL2+
Channel type Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 14.7
Downstream SNR (dB) 10.8
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 14.1
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 32
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
Downstream output power (dBmV) 0
Upstream CRC 733
Downstream CRC 65504
Upstream FEC 18766
Downstream FEC 65485

One thing I did just wonder, as noted above my f2s/TTBusiness login was working after switch to LLU - if that a/c is active on this line until, say, midnight could that explain "up to 8Mb" router synch ? I presumed switch to LLU would change this to ADSL2+, but could there be a computer waiting for "enter" to be pressed.... ??

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:16:01
Print Post

Memory is a bit scratchy but did TalkTalk or Tiscali at some point buy Freedom2Surf via their acquistion of Pipex?

What were the router stats before? A 10-12dB target margin could easily account for your lose of connection speed, and once registered on TalkTalk members forum you can go through the motions of getting this lowered.

You are on ADSL2+, and a I believe your were anyway with your old Freedom2Surf. What you want is the target noise margin lowering.

TalkTalk will want you to wait for a few days while they collect data on the line, so it is a case of go make a snowman outside if snowing.

The FEC values are a little concerning, is the router on the end of a long extension per chance?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:32:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by exiledscot:
B'band was still working with my old f2s login details (account still active for the day I guess) and same lower synch speed with my Lynksys ADSL2+ router.

IIRC, TalkTalk no longer require any login details for full LLU, which is why your old f2s details appear to work (in reality, they are ignored completely by TalkTalk).
Standard User exiledscot
(newbie) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:36:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi - yes, as I remember, f2s > Pipex (residential) > TTBiz (Tiscali could also have been swallowed up there somewhere...). Never understood why they put a majority residential service to the TT Biz business service... still.

Afraid I didn't record the full stats yesterday (d'oh), but as I say synch and speedtests have been pretty stable for 1-2 years plus. Only interruptions were a years or so ago when BT were installing FTTC and upgrading exchange (SWMMV) etc.

BT replaced phone line to my master socket c. 18 or so months ago and internal wiring is only 3 yrs old.

I could understand getting speedtest issues as the switch settles on the highest sustainable speed for a week or so, but getting a lower synch speed than I've had for the last couple of years makes me wonder if it's capped at 8Mb...

I saw this with a client of mine 18 months or so ago who was an early adopter of BT-Fibre and we eventually found his line was "capped" to his ADSL2+ speed. Five hours of chat to BT eventually sorted it and he had some refund to his account. Line profiling or something perhaps ??

Many thanks for your help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:40:35
Print Post

The TalkTalk DLM has picked a 12 dB target margin probably for you, and it may adjust down of its own accord in a few days.

It is wait and see time.

Sky start people off at 4 Meg sync and increase it over time, so you'd have an even bigger shock with them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User exiledscot
(newbie) Thu 06-Dec-12 18:47:10
Print Post

Ok, will do. Thanks for the help.

Is it still the case that the router should be left on all the time as any loss of connection can be seen as a "line fault" and so reduces your potential max speed ?

My router is left on all the time anyway, but should I avoid switching off/on hoping for a higher synch for a few days ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-12 19:06:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A 10-12dB target margin could easily account for your lose of connection speed
Doesn't account for a loss of half potential speed. Were it being capped to 8 Meg, Down NM would be up in the 20s dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-12 19:07:59
Print Post

Just don't reboot more than a few times per hour.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to