User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pianoman211
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:07:56
Print Post

Intermittent fault

[link to this post]

Hi there, I was wondering if I could pick your brains. I've got a TalkTalk broadband connection, and there is an intermittent fault on it. Their technical support have confirmed that, but I don't want to pay £50 to fix a fault (which they'll charge me if it's internal). The Openreach engineer has had a look outside, and has put the following on the 'Sorry we missed you' card when I was out:

"Loop going in
Check at PCP & DP & CP1, all OK."

Does anyone know from this if it's likely to be an internal fault which TalkTalk will charge me £50 to repair?

I've got a D-Link DSL-2680 router, using the wired connection. I've tried changing the filter, trying my spare router, trying the test socket, all to no avail.

Hope that makes sense. Many thanks.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jan-13 17:58:39
Print Post

Re: Intermittent fault

[re: pianoman211] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pianoman211:
I've got a D-Link DSL-2680 router, using the wired connection. I've tried changing the filter, trying my spare router, trying the test socket, all to no avail.

You haven't told us what the fault is.
Standard User pianoman211
(newbie) Mon 06-May-13 22:04:34
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

Hello, sorry I forgot about this, fault still there though. The lights on the router flicker intermittently, sometimes more than others, and the connection occasionally drops completely. Streaming TV sometimes struggles as a result. Talktalk tech support guy confirmed there was a fault after line tests from his end.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fluffylad
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 13:36:55
Print Post

Hi pianoman,

I have exactly the same issue as you describe and was wondering if you managed to resolve your intermittent connection, and if so how?

Many thanks,
John
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 08-May-14 18:05:14
Print Post

[re: fluffylad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fluffylad:
Hi pianoman,

I have exactly the same issue as you describe and was wondering if you managed to resolve your intermittent connection, and if so how?

Many thanks,
John
[/quote

I think as this was pianoman's second and last post nearly a year ago to the day, he won't be replying to your inquiry sadly
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-May-14 10:20:30
Print Post

The best way to rule out any problems with the equipment on your property is to plug an ordinary wired telephone directly into the test socket. Do you have more than one telephone socket ? if yes, you will need to locate the master socket. This is the first socket that is connected to your telephone line as it enters your property. You will need to remove the two screws from the face plate of the master socket and unplug this face plate which will reveal the test socket. Plug the wired phone into this and dial 2 if you can hear any noise, i.e. crackle etc. then the fault is probably somewhere on your line between your home and the exchange an it will be openreach that need to fix it. If there is no noise on the line, Plug a new adsl filter directly into the test socket [talktalk have always supplied two with their routers]and connect your router and phone to it wait for the router to resync and test your broadband connection. if this is now OK the fault is with the wiring on your property and you will need to investigate this further as this can be when ISP's and Openreach make charges.

Hope this helps
Standard User Mygri
(learned) Fri 09-May-14 11:25:03
Print Post

Hi,

I know from personal experience just how frustrating sporadic interupts can be. Good advice from rego, this should be your first step, if you haven't already done it.

If that doesn't provide any benefit you might want to take a look at event the Event Viewer log (Windows > System) to see if there are any router/ network interface problems. It's not very likely, but if you want to check this out, have a look at my own experience at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/f/4302327...

Hope you get to the bottom of your difficulties.

Cheers

Mike
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-May-14 15:22:52
Print Post

[re: rego] [link to this post]

The horse has bolted! You are a year too late!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 09-May-14 16:23:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The horse has bolted! You are a year too late!

may help fluffylad though who has same problem
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-May-14 16:31:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Re; The horse has bolted! You are a year too late!

My reply was to fluffylad's post don't know why the other post's came out of order
  Print Thread

Jump to