User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Great_Bridge
(member) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:42:54
Print Post

An engineer to install a line?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently have Sky Talk, TV and Broadband but due to financial constraints I have to try to reduce my bill by half.

So I went onto Talk Talks website and partially completed an application to get the gist of the cost, however I abandoned it half way through. Today, I got a call from Talk Talk to sell me the package so I went along with it.

I think, and I may be wrong, the salesperson told me the broadband was unlimited with no limits, AUP or throttling. Then I was told I would require two engineer visits. One to fit a new line as sky had tagged my current line and a second to fit the YouView box. I told her I thought she was talking [censored], though more politely, and terminated the call.

Are they talking [censored]?

--
Mick
Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
Ex (again)F2S User -Now with Be!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:52:55
Print Post

Re: An engineer to install a line?

[re: Great_Bridge] [link to this post]

There is a process for moving between two full LLU services and no engineer is needed - but it depends a lot on how the provider books everything. I went from TalkTalk to Sky and saw no engineer, but had to pay line activation fee even though it was not a new line.

Engineer installs are normal currently for the youview box, they like to make sure it is wired in and working nicely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Great_Bridge
(member) Fri 25-Jan-13 05:47:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I previously went from Be to Sky and the process was seamless. A move to Talk Talk already seems like it will not be seamless. I'll have to see if Sky will make an offer come cancel day. Though with their current contention/demand issues I guess not.

--
Mick
Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
Ex (again)F2S User -Ex Be! Now with Sky

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Jan-13 20:19:29
Print Post

I cant speak for LLU to LLU but from BT to TT was seamless for me.

As for the YouView box, TT are offering a free self install option BUT it may not be available to everyone

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User GE01
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:17:55
Print Post

My advice!!!

Don't do it. Do not sign up with TalkTalk. After over 6 hours on the phone to an international call centre and over a month later I got my first enginner visit. Now I almost 2 months later and they still haven't sent the second one out.

Although they still feel the need to send me bills every month even though they cannot get the service running. Complaints are yet to get back to be after 3 letters, 5 phone calls and 6 emails.

PS. From experience everyone who works for talk talk is talking [censored]
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-13 10:18:05
Print Post

[re: GE01] [link to this post]

Thats why all TT members should use the talktalkmembers forum for tech support. Its the way to get things done with TT

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Mon 04-Feb-13 00:16:56
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

agree,

my brother had a line running at half a meg for 2-3years,

year 1 was with BT, he had 3 engineer visits in the end BT told hm all his line could cope with was 0.5mbps

so he them switched to lol post office another visit followed, still no change.

Take into account his whole street if not whole town range from 8meg to 16meg so def an issue.

he them joined talktalk , i told him to get on forums asap. after first engineer visit he was upto 7meg. and is well chuffed now, but took 3 years and to sign up with TT

Edited by omgFTTC (Mon 04-Feb-13 00:17:55)

Standard User Stoatwblr
(newbie) Sat 23-Feb-13 04:58:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They're offering youview without the engineer now.

Be warned that activating youview has had pretty bad effects on BB throughput in a number of cases as they force a higher S/N ratio in order to guarantee TV performance (what, never heard of QoS settings?)

Do you want to stop spam, or do you just want to stop receiving it?
  Print Thread

Jump to