User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bearfreeman
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 11:35:23
Print Post

Leaving talktalk for Primus but what BT product do they use?

[link to this post]

I'm looking for the cheapest deal and thinking about leaving talktalk for Primus, but what BT *product* do these ISPs use? I live a fair way from my exchange and was originally with Tiscali who I only got 70 - 80*K* with. I don't want to swop to Primus and find out I have that kind of speed again - the 700/800*K* with talktalk is preferable, but I don't want even slower.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-13 12:46:53
Print Post

Re: Leaving talktalk for Primus but what BT product do they

[re: bearfreeman] [link to this post]

TalkTalks already very cheap. If you are happy ask yourself is it worth saving a small amount to get a service which people know very little about.
We can all tell you that BT, Sky and TT aren't really that bad. Very few of us have experienced primus broadband.

How much would you be saving?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-13 13:28:29
Print Post

Primus tend to use who ever is cheapest on an exchange and switching around ISP when on very slow speed links can be a hit and miss affair

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User HTTP404
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-13 14:04:08
Print Post

Why not phone TalkTalk, get put through to the Loyalty/Retentions team and tell them you are thinking of leaving. They will try to persuade you to stay.

Most people seem to be able to get a 50% discount on the Essentials and Plus packages (not TV). That's the broadband part - not the line rental.

If you have been with them for a while you can also usually get them to throw in a £2 a month loyalty discount as well. You don't have to wait until your current contract expires to start a new one, but it does help if you are near the end or currently out of contract - they will expect a new contract (just stick to 12 months).

Up to you to negotiate.

Edited by HTTP404 (Sat 09-Feb-13 14:25:11)

(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 17:33:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm paying talktalk's Value Line Rental @ £114 up front [= £9.50 a month] plus £1.25 for eve & w/end calls, so £10.75 a month. Contract renewal will be £9.50 a month plus £4.50 [incl £2 off] for calls = £14 a month. Primus can do line rental & broadbean [all calls extra, ie no 'free' calls] for £10.28. I've put a couple of friends on Primus broadbean and they're more than happy, but they're in town and close to the exchange which I'm not, hence my request for the actual product used, in case I end up not much better off than dial up, as I was with Tiscali.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-13 17:44:33
Print Post

Are you happy where you are?

Unless money is a real issue. Providing you are happy I would stay put. Calls between both companies at the start of the switch will probably be over £3 odd that you are saving.

Do you use those calls as well?

Also have you rang TT cancellations to see what deals they can give you? They might get you very close to the primus deal smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-13 19:21:29
Print Post

If a call to Primus does not tell you which service New Call will use on your exchange then it is do not go with them.

If you have friends on the same exchange, then 95% chance you will be on the same wholesale product, with my money being on it being an Opal full LLU service (i.e. same hardware as TalkTalk use)

The answer is not simple with NewCall as they chase the lowest cost provider on each exchange. In short they are the 2013 version of Tiscali, good when it works, but less so if there is a problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 19:40:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

talktalk sent me a letter about 15 months ago saying fibre optic would be available soon, still waiting, and they say there are no deals available at the mo.

Any ideas what 'product' I'm on with talktalk? Samknows tells me the following products are available;

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
BT Wholesale SDSL
BT FTTC
AOL LLU
O2 / Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU

However, BT say no FTTC & Tiscali was gobbled up by talktalk 3 & 1/2 years ago along with Bulldog, so I think Samknows isn't accurate info.....
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Feb-13 20:01:31
Print Post

Maybe by entering your adress into this
BT Checker if you haven't already done so will give you more upto date info on the availabilty of FTTC where you live

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 09-Feb-13 20:02:26)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-13 22:07:07
Print Post

You will be on talktalk LLU

The move to primus will probably be a cease and reprovide which may mean downtime.

As you are on probably full LLU the primus move will be done as a new install. So it's the same as getting a brand new line installed cost wise etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to